Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What the hell?! So many mixed opinions...

I currently have a 6 ft 132g tank still have not filled up water yet. I am still confuse about whether to use a skimmer, canister filter or not.

This is going to be a FOWLR tank. It's going to house at least 6 adults size tangs in future that's my plan. I went to a few LFS here around my area some said you don't need skimmer and a canister filter and some said you need a skimmer only don't need canister filter. Some said you need both. I mean what's going on? Who can I really trust??? This project is not going to be cheap once it is up and running and I want to do it right at the first place avoiding all future forseeable problems.

I am thinking of using ONLY limestone rocks instead of liverocks because they are cheap and free of pests. I definitely won't keep invertebrates or corals of any kind JUST FISH. I hate those pests from LR especially mantis and pistol shrimps. I don't like the click click noise in the tank. Can using just limestone rocks cause any problem?

Really need your opinions on this one guys as my LFS is not helping very much. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #2

The majority of people here use 1.5 lbs-2 of LR per gallon and a skimmer.

As far as the rock. Base rock is a good idea to save money but you should probably put half and half so the other rock becomes live. If you buy cured LR from an LFS you probably wont get a mantis. I got some but now that they are gone the diversity of life is amazing.

You don't want to keep any inverts at all? What about a cleaning crew?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also another reason I don't want to use LR is because tangs most likely need treatments for whitespots and stuffs therefore it is easy to cure them in the main tank without killing any corals, LR or inverts. And I understand that once I use copper medications and stuffs in the tank I won't be able to keep inverts or corals in the tank in future.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want a fish only tank then get base rock so you get no critters or anything bad. You can use a canister for the fish only set up. That is how most tanks are set up in doctors offices and stuff. If you want a fish only with live rock then get the skimmer instead and use a filter sock on the tank drain tube in the sump. Just my two cents.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Mike thanks for the opinions. I did see some cured LR in one of my LFS but they are as good as dead. No lifeforms of anykind on them. If there is no lifeforms then what is the point of getting "Life" rocks? I might as well get limestones and save more than half of the cost. Also cured LR are even more expensive than uncured LR.

Yeah I will also add some cleaning crews for sure but will only restrict to hermit crabs and snails only.

Now my main concern is: To buy a skimmer only? Or a canister filter only? Or I need both? I only want to buy what is necessary not over doing it.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The issue with marine tanks is that most everyone has a different opinon...everyone. I say with the skimmer vs. canister, that you get one of the other. Both is overkill IMO, unless you already have one. A skimmer, some powerheads for water flow, and liverock are all you need. If however, you don't want lots of rock (live, dead, whatever kind) then I would go with the canister.

Inverts are cool, but if you don't want any, that's cool. You'll have to do alot more maintenence and such.

Don't forget pics.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Devilishturtles and the rest are correct. Lots of folks like skimmers, especially for reef tanks. If you have about 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon, as stated before, that will be enough and the best filtration you could have. I don't run a skimmer in my FOWLR. I originally bought a canister filter, when I was new, to help out. I still use it for running carbon, when needed and for extra water movement.
Quote:
Can using just limestone rocks cause any problem?
I'm not too sure about this. I believe it might cause problems, since some can contion metals, like cooper and such.
Quote:
This project is not going to be cheap once it is up and running
I think you will be pleasantly surprised that the upkeep cost will be really inexpensive, compared to the initial set up.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the cost is not going to be cheap for sure as I will be using metal halide for my fish only tank. 2X150W because I like brighter environment and for the ripple effects.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

live Rock does not equal life that you can see so to speak. You are buying live rock the reef look and the biological filtration it provides.

Your lime rock will get algae on it over time and will look similar to LR unless you bleach it. If you added enough base rock and some LR to seed it, I don't see a need for a canister filter. Skimmer is great but not necessary in some cases. In my FO system I had for 7 years, I never used one. In my reef system, I do. I try to get the best possible water filtration since I have some delicate inverts and corals. Might not be necessary for just fish.

There are many ways to do this hobby. Sometimes you have to just pick one and see how it goes. There will never be one right way.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
it is easy to cure them in the main tank without killing any corals, LR or inverts
I'd consider a smaller QT/hospital tank for medications - and introducing new fish. That way you won't compromise your main and never be able to keep cleanup crews or other inverts.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com