What to clean glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess this could go in either salt or fresh but oh well...
what do I use to clean the outside of my aquarium glass for water staines etc.? somthing that doesnt cost a lot (as of right now, a lot is like $10+ lol its not the right time of season for work. one more month, one more month :roll: ) anyways, ya I made the windex mistake when I was a newbie......lost all my african cichlids :(

I never sray chemicals around my tanks, but I use Glass Plus wipes then use ripped up sheets to polish.

I would normally say a damp cloth, and a dry buff... but the other day while dosing ammonia I thought "the only time I ever used this stuff was when washing windows"

I use windex. I just stand away from the tank and spray it directly onto a paper towel. I used to just spray it onto the glass and never had a problem, but i decided that it would probably be safer to spray it somewhere away from the tank onto a towel and then wipe the glass.

I use white vinegar and a paper towel. Fold the paper towel, put it on the open vinegar bottle and quickly tip to get just enough. Dries to a streak free clean sheet of glass.

If you want to use a Windex-like-product, just use one that is safe for tinted windows on cars. There's no ammonia in it. Not that there aren't other chemicals, but that's normally the main problem when using it on our tanks.

I bought aquarium wipes at walmart - I think API makes them . They are supose to be safe for inside glass as well e ven with fish in the tank - but I only use them outside clear a 2 1/2 year old's finger prints .

I use Windex also but I spray the paper towel in another room and then wipe the outside glass

I also spray away from the tank onto a paper towel, without problems.

What about using Windex wipes?

A couple squirts of windex/glass pluss into a paper towel, of course away from the tank in another room, has always worked for me.

I use vinegar and water that I put in a glass cleaner bottle. I have to spray the stand down as I am alway dripping water on it too :(

I use Windex and spray it directly on the glass. Been doing this for nearly a year without a problem. However, my tank does have a glass top that is only open it the rear.

Water and papertowels work fine for me. I stopped using windex because it stinked and worried a little will get in tank.

Back
Top Bottom