What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I notice that some of the closed polyps on my zoanthid colony that closed up are now disapearing/dieing off. What do I do. Everything else in the tank looks good. Even some of the polyps on the same rock look good. What should I do?
1. Cut the dying zoas off the rock.
2. Cut the living zoas off the rock and put them on another rock.
3. Leave it
4. Take the entire rock out and say shucks.
I have no idea this is my first experience. I dont want to lose them but they are clearly dying yet nothing else is. My other zoas are not dying. Some of the zoas on the same rock are not dying. No clue whats happening.

Just some ideas

1) Check Water test results
2) What is flow like in that area?
3) Maybe move them to different spot in the tank. Maybe mid level.

So I should just leave them be and not go cutting at them huh? I will try that tomorrow. I have moved them twice. I started them out on bottom and that is when they closed up. I then moved them to the shaded area. I will try higher in the middle area.

FWIW, I have seen necrosis develop nearly over night and cutting frags didn't help, seems once the colony is 'infected', its a done deal. Not to say it isn't worth a last ditch effort. Too much flow will cause polyps, shrooms, zoos and the like to recede in my experience. However, from my personal experience with my local reef club, there tends to be a culprit in the tank who may have suddenly found a taste for zoos. It may be worth QT'ing a colony or two to see what happens. Another thought is to check ALK levels, Iodine and Nitrates, if you have the tests handy, as well as SG and temp. I have noticed my zoos are not crazy about the summer months and the warmer water.
GL!

Back
Top Bottom