Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What to do about a dead fish?

Now that I have an actual reef tank, with lots of stacked-up live rock, and corals perched all over the place, spreading quietly, a thought occurs:

What am I supposed to do when a fish dies among the rocks and stuff? Moving all of that is going to be a nightmare; and probably bad for the corals, not to mention the fish. Plus, itr will stir up lots of sediment, and pobably some other stuff that I can't even think of right now.

Is that just what you have to do? Is there a more elegant solution? If the fish is little, can I just let the crabs and hermits...um...do what they do?

Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know in the past when I had a fish die, it would do so overnight, and by the morning when I saw the hermits were already at it, so I left it, and within hours all gone. Thankfully the only fish my hermit crabs have eaten lately were frozen silverside heads.

nxb161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems like that might effect the water quality negatively. Has that not been your experience? I'm all nervous and twirly about water quality, since I started adding coral to my tank. I suppose it would be nice if this kind of thing could be left more-or-less on auto-pilot.
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If I`m able to remove it I will but if not then I just let the CUC do their job. No use tearing things up.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Your CUC should be able to get rid of the evidence quickly enough as to not too adversly affect your water quality.
10 Gallon FOWLR (and macro-algae)
20 Gallon Low-tech planted FW
30 Gallon Reef
redfisher1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I know when a peppermint shrimp died in my tank the bristleworms were on the job in no time. I didn't have any crabs in my tank and only algae eating snails.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Depends on the size of the fish.
If it's small enough, the CUC ate most of it already, and you can't reach it, then I would leave it where it's at.
But if it's one of those monster fishies that need 200+ gallon tanks, then please take it out.
I guess it's situational and if it's one small fish in 6 months than you should be fine. If its more than that, than you have a problem

30g SW reef (moving)
120g SW reef (55g sump)
ignore my spelling! I'm a science major, not an English major
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com