What to do about a dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Quint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that I have an actual reef tank, with lots of stacked-up live rock, and corals perched all over the place, spreading quietly, a thought occurs:

What am I supposed to do when a fish dies among the rocks and stuff? Moving all of that is going to be a nightmare; and probably bad for the corals, not to mention the fish. Plus, itr will stir up lots of sediment, and pobably some other stuff that I can't even think of right now.

Is that just what you have to do? Is there a more elegant solution? If the fish is little, can I just let the crabs and hermits...um...do what they do?

I know in the past when I had a fish die, it would do so overnight, and by the morning when I saw :( the hermits were already at it, so I left it, and within hours all gone. Thankfully the only fish my hermit crabs have eaten lately were frozen silverside heads.

It seems like that might effect the water quality negatively. Has that not been your experience? I'm all nervous and twirly about water quality, since I started adding coral to my tank. I suppose it would be nice if this kind of thing could be left more-or-less on auto-pilot.

If I`m able to remove it I will but if not then I just let the CUC do their job. No use tearing things up.

Your CUC should be able to get rid of the evidence quickly enough as to not too adversly affect your water quality.

I know when a peppermint shrimp died in my tank the bristleworms were on the job in no time. I didn't have any crabs in my tank and only algae eating snails.

Depends on the size of the fish.
If it's small enough, the CUC ate most of it already, and you can't reach it, then I would leave it where it's at.
But if it's one of those monster fishies that need 200+ gallon tanks, then please take it out.
I guess it's situational and if it's one small fish in 6 months than you should be fine. If its more than that, than you have a problem ;)

Back
Top Bottom