What to do about light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up my 20H and last thing is what I'm the worst at, knowing what lights to get.. I have this fixture right now:
http://fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html
with either 6500k or 6700k bulbs. Now I'm sure that's not enough light to grow anything. So could I just get another of the same fixture, so I'd have 4 bulbs. And get different bulbs for my current one.

Would that be enough? Also, what bulbs should I get?

Thanks Guys!

I have a 20 long and i use a 4 lamp t5 high output fixture and i am able to grow sps corals in there. So yea that should be enough light. Just make sure you get good bulbs. Most fixture are good but they come with bulbs that are no good. I changed all four bulbs in mine as soon as i got it

Jabibi said:
I have a 20 long and i use a 4 lamp t5 high output fixture and i am able to grow sps corals in there. So yea that should be enough light. Just make sure you get good bulbs. Most fixture are good but they come with bulbs that are no good. I changed all four bulbs in mine as soon as i got it

Okay great! Thanks!

Not so sure about the photoperiod myself but definitely change the bulbs!
6700K bulbs are used for growing plants, they emit a certain light spectrum that plants thrive off of, in this case, Algae! Bad stuff! Get 10000K at least

armyman16 said:
Not so sure about the photoperiod myself but definitely change the bulbs!
6700K bulbs are used for growing plants, they emit a certain light spectrum that plants thrive off of, in this case, Algae! Bad stuff! Get 10000K at least

I probably should have clarified.. I got 10k's for my fixture. So I'm running 2 x 10k and 2 blues

I run my T5's, 12 hours actinic, 10 hours daylights.
Actinics on one hour before and one hour after the daylights, like you thought.

No. The actinics don't have to come on or off at different times than the daylights. That's just for our enjoyment. Folks like to have a morning and evening transition, but all corals need is a certain amount of light for enough time to sustain them.
Also, a 2 lamp fixture is not enough light to grow anything. It will be enough for soft corals and some lps.

mr_X said:
No. The actinics don't have to come on or off at different times than the daylights. That's just for our enjoyment. Folks like to have a morning and evening transition, but all corals need is a certain amount of light for enough time to sustain them.
Also, a 2 lamp fixture is not enough light to grow anything. It will be enough for soft corals and some lps.

Well I have 4, only 2 are 10k though. The other 2 are actinics. So you're saying I can't grow anything with that..?

You would be able to do Soft coral, LPS, and possibly SPS higher up on your rockwork ( top 1/3 of the tank ) with a four bulb T5 unit on that tank.
Most people like to ease their stock into and out of the light, If given the ability, therefore the actinics on first and off last. Plus it simulates a more natural photoperiod.

Flreefer said:
You would be able to do Soft coral, LPS, and possibly SPS higher up on your rockwork ( top 1/3 of the tank ) with a four bulb T5 unit on that tank.
Most people like to ease their stock into and out of the light, If given the ability, therefore the actinics on first and off last. Plus it simulates a more natural photoperiod.

Okay I thought so.. I really like zoas and they're the main coral I want to keep, so really I just need enough light for those..

Flreefer said:
You should have good light for Zoanthids.

Great!

mr_X slightly confused me, so I was a little concerned haha. He said It would be enough for anything, then said could keep soft corals and some lps..

You can easily grow most soft corals and many LPSs with your lights. SPS growers advocate higher light than is needed for soft coral setups on every forum. You've got a great light setup. if you want better light in the future just get the best replacement bulbs you can when the time comes to get fresh lamps. You'll be amazed what good German bulbs can do. ^_^

CorallineAlgae said:
You can easily grow most soft corals and many LPSs with your lights. SPS growers advocate higher light than is needed for soft coral setups on every forum. You've got a great light setup. if you want better light in the future just get the best replacement bulbs you can when the time comes to get fresh lamps. You'll be amazed what good German bulbs can do. ^_^

Perfect! That's what I was under the impression of! And for bulbs I assume you mean giessmann(sp).

P.S. any recommendations on how long I should have the lights on? Obviously lights are my worst 'subject' haha.

Perfect! That's what I was under the impression of! And for bulbs I assume you mean giessmann(sp).

P.S. any recommendations on how long I should have the lights on? Obviously lights are my worst 'subject' haha.

I like a 10 hour photoperiod. 12 for blues if you like the dusk/dawn effect (I like it).

Back
Top Bottom