What to do about opened bag of Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bag of opened live sand which has been this way for about two weeks now. It has completly dried out and has no "life" left to it im assuming. Anyway, what should I do to the sand before I add it to the aquarium. I was thinking about rinsing it in either fresh water or salt water and then straining it. Is this safe, or do any of you guys have a better recommendation on what to do about adding the sand. Also, how much should I add, I only want to add a thin layer to get the "white" back since ive got some cyano brewing right now. TIA.........

I`m thinking that I would wash it out before I added to my tank. Whatever was live in there probably has died off.

Do you think it would be ok to wash it off in freshwater and then strain it out?

If the assumption is that the "life" in the sand is dead, then I don't see why you couldn't rinse it off in FW like you would normal sand.

Thanks, ill probably put it in a pot, mix it around, and then strain all the "white" water out. Is this suitable?

I would discard it and use new sand. Nutrients tend to accumulate in sand beds as it is, after allowing it to dry out and die, its going to be full of nasty stuff. Those nutrients are going to leach back into the water. That will just cause more algae issues.
white" back since ive got some cyano brewing right now
Have you tested PO4 and NO3?

I have cyano in the tank right now, I was just gonna psyphon it out and then add the new rinsed sand on top of it (thin layer). Yes, nitrates have been floating above 20 for the past two weeks. Last week did a 25% water change and have another do tonight. I was going to replace the sand during the water change. No phosphates.

I have cyano in the tank right now, I was just gonna psyphon it out and then add the new rinsed sand on top of it
If you have cyano, you have some nutrient issues, at least the NO3 mentioned. Adding the "dead" sand is more than likely going to increase to the amount of DOC's already in the tank. That will increase nuisance algae outbreaks. If you want to add sand to the tank, using clean, new sand would be the best choice.

you know what, im just trying to rush things here and your probably right. Im gonna just add new sand on the next water change, thanks for the input.

I agree, you should address the cyano problem. Covering it up won't solve the problem. Syphon and PWCs will help, as well as reducing feeding and lighting.

You are all assuming that there is a lot of life in those commercial bags of "live" sand sold in LFS's.

Personally, I don't think there is much life left in the sand, after shipping/storage/shipping again and then sitting on the shelf, at room temp, at any LFSs. I guess a real test would be adding the "live" sand into a new tank and see if you get any kind of swing in parameters....

I`m not assuming. I agree with you Steve. But I always say you should rinse your sand out weather wet or dry.

Steven Pro said:
You are all assuming that there is a lot of life in those commercial bags of "live" sand sold
Actually I was not sure if it was LS from a LFS , a fellow reefers tank, or whatever. Regardless, the last thing you want to do is dump nutrients from any dead sand in a tank, especially one w/ cyano issues. Easier to just get ordinary new sand and save yourself the headaches.

Back
Top Bottom