what to do with large berlin style sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darron863

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very large berline style sump really a refugium the center chamber is about 20 gal i have sand(20 lbs) in it now with no lighting on it(my skimmer sits here) and was wanting some opinion an what to do with it

Hmmmm....I'm not sure what that kind of sump looks like. I don't know that I would have a skimmer sitting on a sand bed though....

the sump has two inlet drains from the tank into filter bags then goes through two baffles into the large roughly 20 gal center section then through about a filter pad sitting on top about 30 bio balls then through two more baffles and then gets pumped back to tank.

hard to picture it i know but thats the best i can do my

but the skimmer sits on top of sand with power head facing up never had a problem with the sand getting up there and into power head

I got the just of the setup now....what exactly is it that you are wanting to know? Were you wanting to know how to better use it? It sounds like it's a pretty big sump if the center is about 20g. I guess it is probably about 50+g total?

I would add some macro algae like cheato, a light, and maybe some LR. The lighting can be very basic. I use a 6500k, 15w fluorescent flood lamp to grow cheato.
Edit-Its actually a 5100k lamp.

yeah i have had it since set up of tank and never used it properly. was wanting tips on maximizing effectiveness and something that wont effect the skimmer(get sucked in)i am planing on putting about 10 lbs of live rock and doing away with bio balls but was wanting some plants that wont get sucked into the skimmer. was not sure how much light should go on just to grow plants either

Here is the lamp I use on my fuge http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/Reflectors/1P381951
I just use a clip on lighting fixture, there is a pic in my gallery of the set up if your interested. It's hard to say whether something is going to get sucked in the skimmer or not w/ out seeing it. Chaetomorpha algae generally grows in dense mats/clumps, so it's not too much of an issue. Maybe you could add some egg crate between the skimmer and the algae if there is an issue.

stoped by the LFS today and got myself a 18w pc light and a and a filter like the ones that go over the intake of a power head but with a plug in the end going to see how that works
think i am going to put about 15 lbs of live rock and the Chaetomorpha with a couple sand sifting snails thanks for the advice if you have any more pleas let me know

I have a few different kinds of Macro in my fuge...Chaeto is great but I have a few others as well...Halimeda and caulerpa. A variety of macros help to take nutrients out of the water and in the sand.

thats what what i am looking for i want to get the most out of what i have and hopefully get rid of the diatom bloom in my tank cant seem to get rid of it

Back
Top Bottom