Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What to do with my Zoos?

I have this one piece that's got zoos on it (picture is below). The problem is that the piece is too long. I was thinking about breaking the piece in half but I don't know how to go about this. Would it harm the Zoos if I break it in half? Would I need to keep the Zoos submerged while breaking it in half or could I take them out of the water temporarily while I break it in half? Any ideas what tools I would need to break it in half?

Any help or advice is greatly welcomed! Thanks!

John

Old 03-29-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know about the breaking in half, but the zoos out of the water for a few minutes is fine, just have all the tools ready before bringing them out.

Old 03-29-2003, 05:25 PM   #3

Hammer and a cold chisel would be my guess, You may even be able to use a flat head screw driver as the chisel. ( I know, that isn't what a Flat Head Screwdriver is for but, what they hey, who hasn't used one for that at one time or another..)

If the rock or branch it is on is pourous enough, it should be easy to break with little damage..
Old 03-29-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I dont think breaking a rock will be too hard, just use a little braun
Old 03-29-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yep. Just try to not strike the fleshy zoo's when your splitting the rock up.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Would I need to keep the Zoos submerged while breaking it in half or could I take them out of the water temporarily while I break it in half? Any ideas what tools I would need to break it in half?
I would do it in a bucket of tank water, having them out of water for a few minutes won't hurt them, but it is a good idea to reduce stress as much as possible when fragging any coral. If the zoos are attatched to the rock via a mat you can simply cut it with a sharp scissors or scalpel. Be very careful when working with zoos, they have a powerful toxin and I would wear gloves while dealing with them directly. michealprater posted a very sad message about this issue not too long ago.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You might also want to have a pair of glasses on when you do this. I have noticed, while fragging zoos, that they tend to squirt when mashed or cut. Might be a bad thing to get hit in the eye with this as it probably would contain some of the toxin. Zoos are pretty tough...yours should bounce right back unless you really beat them up badly.
Logan J
Old 03-29-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you give us a picture afterwards?
Old 03-29-2003, 09:29 PM   #9

I don't think they were talking about fragging,,,they were talking about breaking the rock so that they could fit it better in the tank....
Old 03-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I think you are right.

Tags
zoos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com