What to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
We got a serpant star..... Soooo what do I feed it, how, and when? Can it just live off the stuff it collects from the bottom of the tank? Is it reef compatible? Is it fish compatible. I heard it was and read it was but just making sure.

Offer meaty food like squid, prawn, and/or silversides about once or twice a week. The bigger the starfish, the bigger or more it needs. The rest of the time it can spend collecting food from within the system from what is fed to the fish and on natural growth.

Reef compatibility is going to depend on the type of serpant star and how big. The green serpants do get large and I've lost small fish to them. They also have a habit of toppling things over as they cruise around. Good to well anchor coral. Can you get us a picture?

No we got rid of our green brittle star cause its not reef safe a lot of people say and it eats fish. This one is a brown serpant star. He just chills under the rocks or lays on the bottom scavanging. I will try to feed him some squid tonight and see what he thinks its pretty big. here is a pic of it...

qrkdcn.jpg

I dont plan on getting any small gobies maybe larger ones. I do want a blennie or 2 though.

Most blennies are not kind to each other so one should be the limit. Rock blennies...aka lawnmower blenny or algae blenny are pretty sturdy and do good on eating algae. When you do get a blenny, pik out one that's larger than the rest.

I want a algae blennie. Well I really want a maroon blennie (I think thats what it is) but I hear they are not all that hardy.

Interesting. Godd stuff guys. I too have a brittle star that hangs out under my rocks. I am hopign that he is eating junk on the bottom of the tank. I trieed an algae type pellet but may want to throw soem live food or a piece or two of raw shrimp i nthe tank for the guy.

I have a serpent star that I do not feed. He looks just like yours and has grown quite a bit in 6 months. He gets plenty of salifert and marinegro pellet foods from my every other day feeding schedule, same goes for my bubble tip anemone.

Cool. Sounds good. I bought some stuff to feed the mushrooms and it feeds other things to apperently its called cyclop-eeze. Anyone ever heard of it?

Back
Top Bottom