What to feed lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm thinking about getting a dwarf zebra lion

I know they most likely need to be started on live food but what Should I feed as a staple?

I did some research an apparently staple foods like whole shrimp, clams, and crab meat are good? So what would be the option to feed? Is it recommended to vary the diet or can I Stick to one? I'm 14 and nor me or my family eat seafood, so is it expensive to get these foods from the supermarket? I also hear that people soak the foods in vitamin supplements, so what should I use?

You could breed shrimp as a once or twice time a week meal. I know they sell frozen fish foods like shrimp and crab. Probably a little expensive. Feeder goldfish from the store are correctly identified as non nutritious and parasite carriers

There's a lot of issues with feeding live food from fresh water systems, most of them involve parasites and inadequate nutrition. I would feed it silversides if anything. Frozen would be your best bet.

To get the lionfish to eat frozen food can take awhile in some cases. I caught my two when they were little so I kept them other wise I would of cut there heads off. They are hardy invasive fish in Fl. Feeding them live shrimp from the pet store at 3 bucks for six is expensive. Go get some minnows and that will bring about there natural instinct then try to slip a piece of silverside in. Mine have yet to eat frozen they are big and fat. Parasites on minnow no worries, won't live in saltwater and fed one or two every couple days and there free.

I'm actually slightly allergic to shrimp and it causes irritation on my skin

So are silversides something that can be a nutritious staple? Can I breed then so that I can gut load them?

I'm still wondering if clam meat is an option?

I'm just looking for a cheap staple food that can be bought at the store or bred in a 10gal

Why not set up a 10g tank and breed guppies for feeders. That way you know where they food is coming from and don't have to worry about introducing parasites or disease.
Or if you can find a reputable breeder they'll usually give you there culls or you'll get a good discount on them. Make sure to go through a reputable person, don't post an ad on Craiglist wanting to buy them. Check to see if there's any aquarium clubs in your area also, I used to get cichlids from a guy for free and as many as I wanted because he had to many.

Feeding fresh water fish to lionfish will usually kill them in the long run. The nutrition from fresh water fish is far from what lions need.

Silver sides however have exactly the nutrition content that a lion fish needs. They are also cheap and you can buy them frozen.

I found an article while reading up on the nutritional content of live fish food. When I get home I will get the link to it.

Mebbid said:
Feeding fresh water fish to lionfish will usually kill them in the long run. The nutrition from fresh water fish is far from what lions need.

Silver sides however have exactly the nutrition content that a lion fish needs. They are also cheap and you can buy them frozen.

I found an article while reading up on the nutritional content of live fish food. When I get home I will get the link to it.

+1. Even when feeding them silversides, you should try to include something else as it will help to vary the diet and usually provides different level of nutritious supplements

Back
Top Bottom