What to feed my corals???????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not sure what corals im going to buy so just tell me a general "what I need"
There really is not "in general" feeding for corals. The food really depends on the type. If you can narrow it down to polyps, softies, LPS or SPS it would make things easier.

I only feed my LPS's (2 open brains). Maybe twice a month and I just use Formula one frozen fish food.

I do not think that you need to buy any special "coral" food. Any stuff that you just add to the water and not target feed, justs polutes the water IMO.

I do suppliment with calcium, but that not really feeding is it.

Hope this helps.

John

If you can narrow it down to polyps, softies, LPS or SPS it would make things easier.
I will have some of each of those.
Also thinking of buying some from G.A.R.F.

I have a CO2 calcium reactor and the tank is a 2 year old 60 gallon

Do you have fish in the tank? If so and you feed any kind of frozen food, brine, mysis, mixed, whatever...the corals eat the leftovers from the fish food. The photosynthetic ones are also receiving nourishment from your lights. It is rare that if the above two situations are met, that you will need to "feed" the corals. You stand a bigger chance of fouling your water quality and damaging your corals in that way then the corals suffering from you not feeding them.
Their are exceptions to this, but I do not think they apply here.

Should be enough for softies, polyps and some LPS depending on position. As mentioned, depending on what you feed the tank, it may be enough for the corals as well.

Lighting for SPS is mostly moderate to high. I would consider 3watts/gal of T5 light on the low end. SPS is not a good choice for this type of lighting.

I agree that your lighting is not sufficient for SPS. Mine isnt either. I just learn to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom