Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What to put in a 10 gallon salt?

So I might be getting a 10 gallon tank in a week or two and thought "I've had experience maintaining fresh good for the part year and a half, why not try salt?". To be brutally honest I know next to nothing about saltwater tanks, well I mean I can explain how corals reproduce but I'm sure there are other son here who know WAY more on this subject than I do. I can honestly say I could've gone my whole life without doing salt until I went to my friends new LFS Saturday, it isn't big but boy can he talk about tanks all day better than anyone else I know. Just looking at the tanks didn't make me want salt but when he took me over to his little SW pond he got out a few inverts, he put them up on the tile and to my complete surprise let me handle them! I thought that if you took those SWs out of water they could be hurt pretty bad but I guess not. So believe it or not, handling an urchin made me fall in love with SW as funny as that sounds .

Getting back on topic, I don't know a whole lot about SW but I'm willing to learn as much as it takes. I'd like to start with simple hardy species that won't outgrow a 10 for life. I don't know that I want to mess with corals just yet but maybe at some point. I'd like to focus more on inverts than fish for this tank. Some inverts I really like are brittle stars, anemones, and if possible a small sea urchin (that isn't poisonous at all). For fish maybe just one or two clowns or something simple like that. And I'm not sure if I need a CUC since this isn't a reef tank. I'll let you guys fill in the rest of the details for me and I'd REALLY appreciate any and all feedback, advice, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and Welcome! I myself am a newbie to the SW world and have learned a great deal on this site.

Some of the things I have learned so far are when it comes to 10g tanks it is best to only have maybe 2 fish in it as the limit. Clowns are not good for a 10g as they can get big and require at least a 20-30g tank.

Inverts and soft corals would be fine as they produce very little waste and won't affect the bio-load as much...same with soft corals.

Anemones, not until your tank is at least 6 months old. The require pristine water conditions, plus it gives yo more time to get your "feet wet" in SW so to speak before attempting them lol.

CUC, not really necessary but can be added. I am setting up a 10g Nano and will be adding small CUC to mine.

Other things that can be added to a 10g are...
  • Sexy Shrimp
  • Porcelain Crabs
  • Pom Pom Crabs
  • Hermit crabs
  • Snails
  • Gobies
  • FireFish
  • Wrasses

Just to name a few. You can also check out the Nano Reef boards for some great information and assistance as you progress on.

Enjoy your journey into SW....it is an exciting adventure.

"The sea was the cradle of primordial life, from which the roots of our own existence sprouted. "
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are there any urchins or corals I could do without incredible maintenance, I wasn't saying before that I don't like corals I just don't want to spend tons of money on them or a protein skimmer, yet .
Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everything Fish View Post
Are there any urchins or corals I could do without incredible maintenance, I wasn't saying before that I don't like corals I just don't want to spend tons of money on them or a protein skimmer, yet .
Yes you can. The best corals to start with would be Soft corals "softies." they are the best for beginners and cheaper than some of the other's is the LPS and SPS area. Some idea's are...
  • Xenia
  • Zoanthids
  • Mushrooms
  • Kenya Tree

These don't require any extra feeding as they get all they need from the aquarium light. Most important is to make sure you have a good light that will support them and LPS/SPS in the future.

"The sea was the cradle of primordial life, from which the roots of our own existence sprouted. "
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did the same as you, get live rock, watch the cycle. Once complete get a hermit or two and a snail, then maybe a clown goby or small blenny. I would then get mushrooms or zoas [light permitting].

Tags
10 gallon, gallon, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com