what to use to raise Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzanji

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what you guys are using to raise the Ph of your tanks. My Ph is sitting at about 8.0.

Thanks,
K.

You first need to know what the other levels are, like ALK. First thing you should do to increase your ph is increase circulation and surface agitaion. It is likely an increase on CO2 that cas your PH depressed. Another thing is...when are you testing your ph? Lights on or lights off?

Here are a couple recipies for ALK/PH buffers compliments of Boomer (from another board)

Mix #!

Ingredients:

Baking soda

Equipment:

oven
baking sheet
aluminum foil

Directions:

Preheat oven for 400F. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cover foil with baking soda (don't use all of it), spread the baking soda around, since it must have contact with the air. Bake at 400F for 1 hour, or until lumpy and awful tasting (a lot of my other recipes turn out this way). Mix 1 part of baked baking soda with 5 parts regular baking soda (some people use 6 parts regular baking soda). Store in a dry container.

Be sure clumps are broken and mixture is well mixed before adding this to the aquarium, be sure everything dissolves (baking soda dissolves much easier than baked backing soda). Also, be sure to test pH and Alk

Mix #2

6 parts Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and 1 part Arm & Hammer Washing soda. Mix well and add one table spoon of the mix to RO, RO/DI or Distilled water per 25 gal of tank water to raise DKH 1.0. Again always check pH and Alk.

I have the same problem, no matter when I check my pH before the lights cut on or off it's at the same level. My tank is 1 1/2 months old. I had my powerheads on high as close to the water level as possible for turbulance & my filter on high flow and no difference. Now that I just got my firsh fish my powerdeahds are now on very low as so not to suck up fish in them. My fiter is still on high and my pH level is still 8.0. What gives? I won't use prefilters because their unsightly and impeede flow anyways.

cool,

I will have to try the baking soda thingy.

I test Ph with lights on. Will try with lots off. I guess I need to pick up an Alk tester tonight too. I have two maxiJet 1200 (295 gph) powerheads, and an aquaclear 301 for the protein skimmer, as well as jets on my Eheim filter. Seems like enough water flow. As far as surfice agitation, I'll have to turn up the bubbles.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom