What types of coral can i have, and can i get a annenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis_2004

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 55 galon aquarium with a 48" outer orbit light with 2-150 watt HQI; 2-130 watt 6 luner lights berlin in sump skimmer and 2 clowns, 2 cardnals, and 2 purple fire fish, a gobie and a long fin fairy wrasse. with this combanation of fish and lighting what corals can i keep? And is it possible for me to keep a annenome with all this.
I got a ton of water movment powered by two 1200 maxi jetsand 2 600 ones as well.

All your fish are reef compatible & the lights are fine for just about any coral & anemone. How long has your tank been running? What are your water parameters, mostly no3, po4, kh, ca, sg, & temp? Do you use ro or ro\di water? Do you have strainers or sponges on your powerheads? (The anemone can get caught up in them) Which anemone & corals in particular were you interested in?

How are your phosphates? Are u using RO/DI water?

Pick up a book on corals. I like Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals". I'd suggest some picture and write-up cruising before setting your sights.

In the meantime, start with some easy ones... mushrooms, ricrodia, leathers, frogspawn. I'd also suggest wavemakers for your powerheads. Alternating flows seem to help corals quite a bit IMO.

Sounds like you've covered with enuf light for any kinda coral you want. Hard or soft. But do some reading of level of difficulty and placement, feeding, or etc before you leap.

Good luck and welcome to AA!! :smilecolros:

Gonna hang around for a while as you decide and stock your coral? :wink:

So what are good starter corals? I forgot to tell you in the posts above that i also got three hermits, and two emeraled crabs. Sorry! Might change some things. but right now would like to know what are good sand shifters to keep algea off the sand with. I would also like to hear some segjetions for a cleaner pack.
like i allready have two emerald crabs, thee hermits(only three i will ever have), one snail(don't know what type). Any other animals that will clean my aquarium are welcome segjestions.

just curious do you have that light hanging from the ceiling or with legs?, i recently brought the same light but its to wide for my tank and also how did you hang it up?

Okay here we go it was a little to wide for me as well. But i maneged it bye being creative with the legs. i got it mounted bye the legs by the way.

That should be sufficiant light to keep a wide variety of corals. I would start with some easy ones like zoathids or leathers and go from there. LPS corals like trumpets, hammers and torch corals are also pretty hardy and easy to care for when provided with stable water conditions. I would hold off on any harder to keep animals (including anemones) for a few months.

maybe a stupid question but how do you handle anemone anyway?, i understand they can sting you pretty badly

anenomes are hard to deal with, I got my first one and it wouldn't stay put, the current was picking it up, then it got sucked to a powerhead. So I turned off teh power head peeled it off and kina pinned it down on a small rock, it attached and it is in power. i can move it around because of the small rock it is great, I bought a percula clown about 2 weeks ago and the anenome hosted it. by the way it was rose tipped, beutiful. just be careful

Here are the ideas for my aquarium how do they sound? If some of the Invertabrets arnn't compatable with a reef type aquarium, please say so and then give better segjestions on what would work.

Corals
1) Brain Coral
2) Mushroom Polyps
3) Mushroom Coral
4) Zoanthids
5) Cabbage leather coral
6) Xenia
7) Staghorn
8) Warty coralimorph

Fish
1) Clowns (2)
2) Purpple Firefish (2)
3) Cardnals (2)
4) Lonfin Fairy Wrasse (1)
5) Gobie (1)

Invertabrets
1) Hermits (3)
2) Emerald Crabs (2)
3) Bubble Tip Anemone (1)
4) Snails- Turbo(2) Ceriths(6) Fighting conch(1)
5) Shrimp- Cleaner(2) Pepermint (4)
6) Brittle Star (2)
7) Sandshifter Star (1)

I've handled several anemones and never got stung. If you do as "IworkatPSP" said, and as long as it isn't stuck to anything, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
The one I have now (bartholomea annulata) is very difficult to handle because it VERY securly attaches itself. When I bought it from the LFS, I had to buy the rock it was stuck to because the guy couldn't get it unstuck. Then after it was in the tank for a day it moved to more desirable real estate.

I agree start with the easy corals like mushrooms and leathers and maybe a colt coral is a good starter. that was my first coral. Good luck and Welcome to AA :invasion:

Back
Top Bottom