Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
No problem Theresa. You must be in the market for a tang also.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to DreamerTheresa
Eventually. Not any time soon. Would rather have all my ducks in a row and have more experience and info on tangs before I get one.

DreamerTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yellow or Purple are pretty hardy. The most important thing with any tang is to ensure a QT period before addition to the main.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great link, but the fish pictured for the Kole tang description actually appears to be a Chevron tang, I think. Koles look similar but have the yellow ring around the eye, and the stripes are straighter than the Chevron with slightly different coloration. We get both species all the time at the store I work for.

I've been told that the Kole tang is pretty hardy (well, as far as tangs go!) as well as the yellow, convict, and orange shoulder. I don't have any direct experience with tangs other than the ones I work with at the store, so definitely listen to everyone else over me LOL.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
YT's are very susceptible to HLLE though - you have to keep a good herbivore diet going for them - seaweed, etc., otherwise they'll wither away. I think blue's are susceptible to this as well, but it seems to show more on yellow's.

It makes me sick to go into a pet store and see a tank full of sickly looking, pale, skinny YT's. I always want to take them home and fatten them up, but I know that's not a solution (supporting chain stores that have no business carrying sensitive species).

Before I got nori, mine was starting to develope some lateral line erosion, and a little erosion between the eyes and gills. Once I got a some nori, it started clearing up. Beyond that, he's had a minor problem with black ich, which was easily cleared up with FW dips and never returned. He's never had white spots/ich/etc, even though my blue tang does get a couple spots now and then. The blue seems much more sensitive than the yellow.

180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

die, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com