Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2015, 01:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Be that as it may, it all depends on the market. Would I pay 60 bucks for an frag I think is amazing? With no availability of coral around me the answer is simple, yes. Would someone who is living down somewhere near the ocean and there are several LFS to choose from with huge selections? Probably not. Do people who can attend frag swaps or other events? Probably depends on the rarity of the piece.
That said, do I think some prices are way out of control? Definitely. Hundreds of dollars for anything that we put in our tank is too much. If something is THAT rare, then it should be housed at an aquarium or museum for public viewing.

Or not collected at all. I'd love a Scoly but I'm seeing in excess of $300 for an Aussie Scoly in my area. That is a lot of coin.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I'd have to agree 100%. And then you get somebody with the illustrious idea to make up some whacked out name. This is a situation that turned me off saltcritters.com. They did an "experiment" by creating the "Collectors Corner". It was the same frags listed in another section, but they were charging upwards of 4x the actual value just because of a "name". I asked if they revealed what the actual price was during checkout and charged the lesser of the two. Their reply was simple. "If you weren't smart enough to look around and see the same frags at lower prices, then it's your fault". So, I won't be shopping with them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
It's not Saltcritters....It's you, and every other consumer out there that is dying for tank "bling", forcing them to do this.
A perfect example:
Years ago I was selling a lot of corals to this local reef club. They cursed the fact that I was pulling corals from the ocean, and yet they were my biggest customers...lol. Anyway, I had a pretty interesting chalice. It was green and gold. Far away it just looked green, but close up you could really see the beauty. I offered the entire 4" diameter piece for 50 bucks. No one wanted it..Then, knowing that these knuckleheads were all about name brand corals, I cut the piece in 4, and re-listed it for sale as "the official Green Bay Packers Chalice", at 40 dollars for a 2" square frag. I sold them all in under an hour. Retarded IMO, but this is the way of the world.
BTW, I'm glad I saved a lot of pictures...here it is-

Old 02-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post
Or not collected at all. I'd love a Scoly but I'm seeing in excess of $300 for an Aussie Scoly in my area. That is a lot of coin.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Depending on the scoly, they are paying anywhere from 60 to 250 for them. The more colors, the more money...
Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It's not Saltcritters....It's you, and every other consumer out there that is dying for tank "bling", forcing them to do this.

Honestly, you're correct to a degree about a name in my tank. And the only one I'll pay decent money for is Stendker Discus. In the SW tank I'm not into names at all and looks only. 2- 3 headed Duncan's, $15 each. 2- 3" ricordea, $20 each. A pistol shrimp for $15, a paired goby for the same price and a torch frag that was a $10 cover to attend the "learn to frag" seminar at one LFS. The freebies include a 6" tall x 8" wide green Nepthea, a lobo of unknown variety, and a something else that didn't last which I believe was light related. They came as frags from another reefer that got freebies from other when he was new to it like myself. "Pay it forward" approach to say.

When it comes to "other" names, you're absolutely correct !! Those are the names that make my day easier and I'll gladly pay for them. Buckingham Spurs and saddles, Stihl chainsaws, Fisher plows, Brush Bandit chippers, Oregon skip tooth chain, Kask helmets. That's the only time I'll easily pay for a name.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spurs and saddles...lol. We certainly live different lives! I was just making a general point...not really singling you out. My point is it's the consumer that makes a need for these name brand corals, not the stores.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like that "GB" chalice X...lol. The market has gotten out of hand though. Most aquacultured "named" stuff isn't rare anymore so kinda absurd at the prices ppl charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

And, they all come from the ocean anyway...and it's not like these guys naming these things are diving for them even...they simply make coral orders, receive something nice (which there is plenty of in the ocean), and call it their own and a "limited edition". Nonsense IMO.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Anything with a tyree, LE or so on label is stupidly expensive. At the swap in October a guy had LE Rastas for $20 per head. A guy 2 booths down had the exact same Rastas with 5 polyps for $15. So stupid but some ppl buy into it. Heck I got the ORA red planet for $10 for a nicely encrusted piece whereas I see it for $70-100 retail regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Spurs and saddles...lol. We certainly live different lives! I was just making a general point...not really singling you out. My point is it's the consumer that makes a need for these name brand corals, not the stores.

Understand totally what you're saying and took no offense but didn't mean to be offensive either But saddles and spurs are the story of my life. Today being a fine example of such, were eight hours away from another snowstorm and thanks to last nights winds, I'm going out to do but emergency tree removal. Been there too many times in the last month for the same tree and they finally get the big picture. Looks like it'll be a 36 hour day instead.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

ORA, ReefGen, and tank teardowns (lol)...

Tags
hole, holes, lfs, sale

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com