Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
And, they all come from the ocean anyway...and it's not like these guys naming these things are diving for them even...they simply make coral orders, receive something nice (which there is plenty of in the ocean), and call it their own and a "limited edition". Nonsense IMO.

The owner of the lfs I frequent admitted that one of his employees comes up with all the "fancy" names for their more showy corals. He even said he has no idea where the guy comes up with these names. But I guess success is based on a good marketing plan. About a month ago, they had a Modern for $565. A guy from another state, in town for the holidays, bought it and about $2500 in other pieces because he said his local store didn't have anywhere near the variety.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree so much.
I'm glad I finally found an LFS that refuses to tell you names of corals and sells them at prices that are reasonable.
They're simply labeled "Named Acro" or "Named Zoa"
And only after you buy it will they tell you the name.
I find it ridiculous that these big names like WWC, LE, Tyree, Fox, ORA, ReefRaft, think that it's ok to charge that much. It also turns people out of the hobby because they simply can't afford all of this!
I'd much rather wait and find someone who is willing to "pay it forward", or not try to drive me broke then pay $80 for a .75" frag.

Back to the original question though, my LFS don't use wholesalers for most things. (Sounds ridiculous right) It is almost pure hobbiest trade, and that's it. They do have 1, but the rest is local. Exotic Sea Life International (those of you who know Zoa Queen, it's where she works). Rarely ever will they go down there and believe it or not they MARK DOWN the prices.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
Exotic Sea Life International (those of you who know Zoa Queen, it's where she works). Rarely ever will they go down there and believe it or not they MARK DOWN the prices.
I used to buy a lot of acans and scolys from them. I forget the woman's name who was my rep, but I remember she had a heavy accent. Possibly Jamaican.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I used to buy a lot of acans and scolys from them. I forget the woman's name who was my rep, but I remember she had a heavy accent. Possibly Jamaican.

They have a ton of really interesting LPS... But with it comes big $...

Tags
hole, holes, lfs, sale

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com