What will Coral Banded Shrimp attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will the CBS attack snails and other hermits? I read that he will attack other shrimp. Mine doesn't seem to bother the hermits, but Im afraid if I get a few more snails/hermits, they might become his dinner :(

There reef safe they don't ever kill hermits or snails. I keep mine with snails, crabs, and shrimp. Never any problems.

I have to disagree. I saw the one I had grab and eat a trochus snail. The darn thing would go at any fish that came to close, and even me when cleaning, etc. inside the tank! I am not too fond of them myself.

I have several peppermint shrimp and two cleaner shrimp, aswell as a bunch of snails, as far as I know my pair of CBS have not molested anything, when the pumps goes out at feeding time they climb down from their rock and scoop up anything they can get their little claws on.

mine killed 4 camel shrimp !
He's no longer in the tank !

Did you actually see him kill them? Or did they just dissapear and the CBS took the blame? Mabye it was because your tank was to small or not enough hiding places.

Mabye it was because your tank was to small or not enough hiding places.
Exactly. They are aggressive, and in a smaller tank would have more run-ins and opportunities to take advantage of. Those "boxer claws" say it all. That is why I don't like them in reefs of any size, IMO.

I have a problem where my CBS keeps losing its claws. It will molt and then the next thing i know the new claws are gone. the only new addition since this started was a anemone crab that came in on a piece of live rock. though i haven't seen him since. any input would be appreciated.

John

Mine to, but he gets a new one within a week. No idea how it grows back so fast.

Six-Line said:
mine killed 4 camel shrimp !
He's no longer in the tank !

Did you actually see him kill them? Or did they just dissapear and the CBS took the blame? Mabye it was because your tank was to small or not enough hiding places.

Well I have a 55 gallon tank and 90 pounds of live rock...
As you can see there is TONS of hiding places...
And nothing else in the tank could have killed it. And I have had no other deaths in the tank of ANY kind since he was removed...
So ya it was him...
wholetank.jpg

The problem with mine is that I had one die because of this. He was happy and healthy for a long time then all the sudden he started losing claws. I replaced him with a new one and over night he lost one of his claws too. I'm puzzled?

Back
Top Bottom