What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm curious what you guys would do in this situation....

I bought a blue starfish on Friday from my LFS. Once I got home, i discovered a small 'wound' on one of his arms. By Sunday, 'stuff' was coming from his wounds (my shrimps aided in this). Anyway, the LFS is closed on Sunday, and he kind of started falling apart around his wound and there was crap floating in the water. I didn't want to wait for this to affect my tank, so I had to do something quick.

So, before I tell you the conclusion, I'm curious as to what you guys would have done in this situation??

TK

Personally I would have put him in some kind of makeshift QT tank until just long enough to get him back to the store when it opened

If you think he is dead, freeze him. If not, a QT as suggested. Either way, get him out of the tank.

A blue is more thank likely a Blue Linkia. They require at least 100lbs of LR to susstain their diet of algae. They must be acclimated very slowly. (several hours) :wink:

I would have killed him.

Just kidding, I probably would have done the makeshift QT tank too.
What did you do?

I wouldn't of purchased the blue linkia in the first place. they do not do very well in captivity at all, and are extremely sensitive to changes in water quality making them very difficult to acclimate. so next time, its best to leave the the $30 linka in the store, where it will probably die anyway. my lfs gets them in from time to time, and evertime the stars look like they are all ready dieing. pretty sad for such a beautiful creature.
mermaid

I would def. put into a qt for starters. Then I would make sure the quality of the water was excellent, and do nessecary changes to sustain the quality. :wink:

i woulda cut the leg off below the wound, then put it qt. if the wound was infected, it could spread to the rest of its body. the leg will eventually grow back.

Back
Top Bottom