Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What would you do?

I recently inherited 2 fish from my boss - a large clarki and a large blue velvet damsel. Both are approx 7 year old. The clarki has settled in well and loves his new 90 gallon home, but something must have happened in the capture or transefer of the damsel. He seems unable to swim properly. He balances on his tail in the corner of the tank and spins. He does not seem to be able or want to swim across the tank.

So my delimma - do I let him continue to " live" like this ? The clarki appears to bring him food and "protects" him from the other fish as he would an anemone.

or

Is this possible a learned behavior - a misplaced hosting instinct by the clarki ?

or

Do I euthanize him ? And if so - how? Freezing method or clove oil and vodka method?

TIA

JG

Old 05-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long has he been in your setup? I have heard many write about problems with the swim bladder but never saw it myself.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think fish from small systems tend to keep their strange swim pattern for some time before accepting their bigger digs. Has the damsel figured out how to use the whole tank yet? If you really suspect swim bladder (seems unlikely given his lifespan), then feed him some mashed up frozen and thawed (not canned) peas.

My maroon kept to one small segment of tank (that looked about like the cube she'd been in) until she got used to her surroundings.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He has been in the 90 gallon for 2 weeks now. His "swimming" is more like turning on his tail with his nose toward the top of the tank. Think "Baby Bird" and you will get the picture. All of his movement is in the front fins - nothing in the back.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com