What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JG

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently inherited 2 fish from my boss - a large clarki and a large blue velvet damsel. Both are approx 7 year old. The clarki has settled in well and loves his new 90 gallon home, but something must have happened in the capture or transefer of the damsel. He seems unable to swim properly. He balances on his tail in the corner of the tank and spins. He does not seem to be able or want to swim across the tank.

So my delimma - do I let him continue to " live" like this ? The clarki appears to bring him food and "protects" him from the other fish as he would an anemone.

or

Is this possible a learned behavior - a misplaced hosting instinct by the clarki ?

or

Do I euthanize him ? And if so - how? Freezing method or clove oil and vodka method?

TIA

JG

How long has he been in your setup? I have heard many write about problems with the swim bladder but never saw it myself.

I think fish from small systems tend to keep their strange swim pattern for some time before accepting their bigger digs. Has the damsel figured out how to use the whole tank yet? If you really suspect swim bladder (seems unlikely given his lifespan), then feed him some mashed up frozen and thawed (not canned) peas.

My maroon kept to one small segment of tank (that looked about like the cube she'd been in) until she got used to her surroundings.

He has been in the 90 gallon for 2 weeks now. His "swimming" is more like turning on his tail with his nose toward the top of the tank. Think "Baby Bird" and you will get the picture. All of his movement is in the front fins - nothing in the back.

Back
Top Bottom