What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a really nice 55 lbs shipment of Vanuatu LR today.... the shapes are amazing. I have a 90G curing tank in the garage that the rock is in along with a friends old dead rock that needed a curing cycle again.

The LR i got doesn't appear to have tons of die-off on it so I'm wondering if I should scrub it and risk losing some more stuff, or if I should just leave it.

Next thing, I'm working on getting my display tank up to the right temp and salinity right now, I got the sand bed in there, just wondering If i should just chuck the unscrubbed rock right into the main tank in the house and let it cycle that way, it doesn't smell too bad at all.... it's got a smell, but it's dealable. thoughts?

Ryan

It really depends on if the stuff you are going to scrub off is dead or alive. How long was the rock in transit?

Rock was in transit from LFS to me for about 15 hrs. I don't know about transit time from it's location to the LFS tough. It arrived to the LFS on wednesday and was sent to me friday noght for saturday morning delivery.

i would put it in my tank if my tank was going threw it cycle. But i would scrub of black stuff if the rock had some of that on it.

I would remove anything that was obviously dead and then cure it in the main tank. That should give you a pretty good cycle which you need to do anyway. Just get the temp up to where you need it first.

LR is amazingly resilient. You are going to have some die off still but what comes back over the next year will astonish you.

Is it just the black stuff that needs to be scubbed off?

If i put it into the main tank, 46G, should I do a water change pretty quickly or what? If so, how often should I do a water change, and is my remora gonna be able to keep up?

Water changes will help preserve some life but cause a longer cycle time. I would just let the cylcle run it's course then do a 50% water change.

Back
Top Bottom