What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Unfortuantely I haven't been on here for a while, our tank is thriving but has been through tough spots. Have had a time where we thought we were going to have to frag our leather, but it ended up healing itself with attention from us and Lugols Solution. We still have our major problem though, the leather is now half way down the tank, as of yesterday I had to move our bubble to the otherside as it was being attacked by the leather. Our Hammer coral is taking up the other side of the tank and we had almost lost that too. The bubble well when we lost the big one when we removed it there was a little bit of it remaining on the rock, it has now become the size of a fist. Our zoos have gone through where we thought we had lost them but now they are back in full bloom also.

But back to my question, we had thought of donating the leather and clowns to a local aquarium but are now thinking of keeping it and just getting a taller aquarium. I would like to get a Hexagon or a very tall not long tank, right now ours is a 60, we don't have a lot of space due to we live in a condo. Question, what are the pros and cons of having a Hex? Would you even do a Hex or just go a very tall tank, and being that I'm not a very tall person what is the downfalls about having a really tall tank?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tank_edited-1_102.jpg
    tank_edited-1_102.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 96
The biggest problem I see with a Hex is Lighting, since you have corals (very nice btw) the light will not penertrate all the way thru the aquarium. And the werid Hex shape would make it hard to cover everything with even light. You would have to buy additonal lighting which wouldn't make to much sense.

You would have to get a stepladder, or a scaffold system to you can reach the tank ;)

Another thing to consider with a hex is the reduced surface area so there is less area for gas exchange. (nice leather)

i have a 110 tall and has lots of room for that leather to grow. Mine is like 6 inches across but as you can see still has room to grow.

Downside of the tall tank is hard to clean and prune xenia that are on the bottom.

Plus side is it looks real nice. Amagine what it could look like if I had any aquascaping skills.

full.jpg

mccmike: What is a good price on a 110 tall? They had them for $250 at a local store.(tank only) I am not considering one I just wondered if they are high on their tanks.

to be honset I don't remember. I got lights, wet /dry, sand, pumps and some other misc stuff for like $1300 and change.

THanks for the complement. I'm about to try and reaquascape again this weekend. Trying for towers to create some swimming room.

Question, what are the pros and cons of having a Hex? Would you even do a Hex or just go a very tall tank, and being that I'm not a very tall person what is the downfalls about having a really tall tank?

I think the biggest problem has already been mentioned, surface area, in addition you would need a good scheme for circulating the water from the top to the bottom of the tank. Typically shallower wider tanks are recommended. You could go with a really tall custom tank, but you should make it as wide and long as you have space for. maybe something like a 36" tall, 24" wide and 36-48" (or longer) long. You can always compensate (a little bit anyway) for the height of the tank by getting a shorter stand.

Back
Top Bottom