Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
What would you recommend as the best pump ???

I am looking for recommendations on the best in-line pump for plumbing my saltwater holding container to the display tank. Head is approx 15'. This of course will be very occasional use so not looking for a heavy duty coninuous use pump (in other words, a cheaper pump that will get the job done ). Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Try looking at the Mag-Drive 7 and the 9.5, I think they will pump upto 15' of head.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any experience with the Dolphin or Sen pumps? Thanks for the info.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

By the way RR, just checked on the MD 7-12, shutoff for the 12 is 14' and the 7 is like 10'. Need something with a little more uuumph. They do have a MD 18 @ around $187 that will go 18' but that is more than I want to spend on this. Thanks again.

Me
Old 09-16-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have no experience with the senn or the dolphin pumps, but I haven't read any complaints about them either.

You might put up a WTB thread in the classifieds, or the barter and trade forums, looking for a specific pump that meets your specs. In your situation...used might be the way to go.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input RR 8)

Me
Old 09-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Sam i dont believe your going to find a decent pump thats going to push 14' cheap, its impossible. You might find a cheap one but its no good if you have to replace it every 6 months or year. JMHO
Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

well imo if it is only for water changes and what not he dont need alot of flow in the first place just a little bit would be better for adding water imo and a mag 9.5 prob would cut it as long as ya shrink the output line down to 1/2 or even 3/4 with no prob i use a mag 9.5 to pump from my basement to the first floor which leads to a little giant pump for the extra ummfff just my thought due to ya not needed that much volume for water changes
Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I gotta agree with reefrunner, the mag is a great pump. Its not as cheap as other pumps but in the long run it will be well worth it. (and eventually cheaper after you replace all the junk pumps you buy.)
Old 09-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #10
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all of the information folks. As ScubaSteve pointed out this will be used only for water changes. My plan is to install a water container in my basement. This will be tapped with a float and shut-off valve to my RO/DI unit. I will have either a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe plumbed into my tank and run to the basement where I will install a Y connector and valves. One leg will be plumbed to my waste line and the other leg to my pump. The pump will be plumbed to the water container. I will then run a switch to the pump up to the tank area so I can control it from there. When I need to do a water dump, I just open the waste valve and close the pump valve and the reverse for when I want to add water. I will probably need to add a check valve on the pump feed line to prevent siphoning. So that is the set up and the reason why I need a pump to handle the 15' head. But I will only use the pump once a week at most for changes. So with that in mind, any other suggestions 8)

Me

Tags
pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com