What would you recommend as the best pump ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
:?: I am looking for recommendations on the best in-line pump for plumbing my saltwater holding container to the display tank. Head is approx 15'. This of course will be very occasional use so not looking for a heavy duty coninuous use pump (in other words, a cheaper pump that will get the job done :wink: ). Thanks

By the way RR, just checked on the MD 7-12, shutoff for the 12 is 14' and the 7 is like 10'. Need something with a little more uuumph. They do have a MD 18 @ around $187 that will go 18' but that is more than I want to spend on this. Thanks again.

I have no experience with the senn or the dolphin pumps, but I haven't read any complaints about them either.

You might put up a WTB thread in the classifieds, or the barter and trade forums, looking for a specific pump that meets your specs. In your situation...used might be the way to go.

Sam i dont believe your going to find a decent pump thats going to push 14' cheap, its impossible. You might find a cheap one but its no good if you have to replace it every 6 months or year. JMHO

well imo if it is only for water changes and what not he dont need alot of flow in the first place just a little bit would be better for adding water imo and a mag 9.5 prob would cut it as long as ya shrink the output line down to 1/2 or even 3/4 with no prob i use a mag 9.5 to pump from my basement to the first floor which leads to a little giant pump for the extra ummfff just my thought due to ya not needed that much volume for water changes

I gotta agree with reefrunner, the mag is a great pump. Its not as cheap as other pumps but in the long run it will be well worth it. (and eventually cheaper after you replace all the junk pumps you buy.)

Thanks for all of the information folks. As ScubaSteve pointed out this will be used only for water changes. My plan is to install a water container in my basement. This will be tapped with a float and shut-off valve to my RO/DI unit. I will have either a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe plumbed into my tank and run to the basement where I will install a Y connector and valves. One leg will be plumbed to my waste line and the other leg to my pump. The pump will be plumbed to the water container. I will then run a switch to the pump up to the tank area so I can control it from there. When I need to do a water dump, I just open the waste valve and close the pump valve and the reverse for when I want to add water. I will probably need to add a check valve on the pump feed line to prevent siphoning. So that is the set up and the reason why I need a pump to handle the 15' head. But I will only use the pump once a week at most for changes. So with that in mind, any other suggestions :?: 8)

I like littlegiant pumps but they are not submersiable like the mag. I have the 4-MDQX-SC and it is reported to have a max head of 17' with a 1" outlet. Its priced at $130.00 at petwarehouse.com The little giant 4-MDQ-SC is very simular the the pump I have but its max head is 24' and costs the same.

A check valve would probably be a decent idea as 15' tall water colum is a good amount of water. If your using this monthly for water changes I would be concerend with that water stagnating for the month in the pipe before its next use though.

Well, the plan is that with the line plumbed to the drain, I would always be doing a drain out before pumping any water in. This should "flush" the line out before I pump fresh in. The check valve would be after the Y split but before the pump. Plus with this setup, it should be a breeze to do more frequent changes (weekly). I am shopping right now for a 30G water barrel that i will use for the set up :D

What I have found out further is that I have to factor in the length of the horizontal pipe and the amount and type of elbows (90/45 etc) all of which contribute to calculating head pressure, in addition to the vertical distance. So now my new calculation means I now have to cater for a 25' head pressure. I am looking at the Iwaki MD55RLT, Blue line 55HD or Mak-4 pumps for this. Anyone have any specific experience with these pumps? I know that the Blue line and Mak-4 pumps claim to be Iwaki knockoffs. Are the Iwakis that good?? Thanks again

The Bluelines were designed by an Iwaki engineer who left the company. I have installed three of them and I like them. The guys at Champion say that the Blueline runs a little quieter than the Iwaki. One interesting note about the Iwaki pumps (they are great pumps) is that the better ones have the Japanese motors. The American motors are louder and don't hold up as well (kinda chaps you doesn't it). You will pay quite a bit for the pumps with the Japanese motors though. I have never used a Mak-4.
My vote goes to the Blueline.

Back
Top Bottom