Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What you do with your empty QTs

what do you guys do with your empty non in use QT's because i have one and a fish hasnt touched it in over a month, im tempted to turn it off and tear it down, waste of water and power. Any suggestions

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When my QTs are not in use, I usually will keep an extra biofilter in one of my HOBs or on another tank. That way if I need a QT tank I can move the filter or the biofilter to another tank. I don't like being unprepared.

If your tanks are stable and you don't plan on getting more tankmates soon, you can always take the tank down and just keep the filter mature.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixisnowixi View Post
what do you guys do with your empty non in use QT's because i have one and a fish hasnt touched it in over a month, im tempted to turn it off and tear it down, waste of water and power. Any suggestions
the general thought is to drain if and shut it down. put your media in your sump to keep it alive and just leave it empty. From what I have seen, if you leave it up you will end up with something living in it, a fish or a shrimp or something that you thought was cool but could not put in you display. it then is no longer a QT but a species tank
Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mdaniel2882: I break my QT down once my tank's fully stocked. However, remember, that if you must use it to medicate, don't use your filter. It will suck the medicine from the tank.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What the others have said. A common practice is to keep a couple sponge filter in your sump so it cycles and then you can just take it out and set up a QT quick. They are also really cheap and easy to replace.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder if an aquaclear 20 filter used during medication is now only good for medication? Ive heard of medication obsorbing into sillicone and thus rendering a QT good for ONLY a medication tank, but what about the plastic HOB filters?

Matt
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Myself I don't think I would put media from a QT into my main tank. Keeping a cheap sponge filter in the sump to use in the QT tank when it needs to be set up sounds good, then just add a new sponge filter to the sump for next time.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
I wonder if an aquaclear 20 filter used during medication is now only good for medication? Ive heard of medication obsorbing into sillicone and thus rendering a QT good for ONLY a medication tank, but what about the plastic HOB filters?

Matt
I'm not sure. For the cost of an A20, I don't think I would risk it. Just get another one if you really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Seven View Post
Myself I don't think I would put media from a QT into my main tank. Keeping a cheap sponge filter in the sump to use in the QT tank when it needs to be set up sounds good, then just add a new sponge filter to the sump for next time.
This is what I was suggesting in case that wasn't clear. 100% agree.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I toss the bio media into my sumps and tear them down, clean them out, seal them with saran wrap, aluminum foil and a huge rubber band to keep debris out of the tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com