What you do with your empty QTs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
what do you guys do with your empty non in use QT's because i have one and a fish hasnt touched it in over a month, im tempted to turn it off and tear it down, waste of water and power. Any suggestions

When my QTs are not in use, I usually will keep an extra biofilter in one of my HOBs or on another tank. That way if I need a QT tank I can move the filter or the biofilter to another tank. I don't like being unprepared.

If your tanks are stable and you don't plan on getting more tankmates soon, you can always take the tank down and just keep the filter mature.

what do you guys do with your empty non in use QT's because i have one and a fish hasnt touched it in over a month, im tempted to turn it off and tear it down, waste of water and power. Any suggestions

the general thought is to drain if and shut it down. put your media in your sump to keep it alive and just leave it empty. From what I have seen, if you leave it up you will end up with something living in it, a fish or a shrimp or something that you thought was cool but could not put in you display. it then is no longer a QT but a species tank:D

What the others have said. A common practice is to keep a couple sponge filter in your sump so it cycles and then you can just take it out and set up a QT quick. They are also really cheap and easy to replace.

I wonder if an aquaclear 20 filter used during medication is now only good for medication? Ive heard of medication obsorbing into sillicone and thus rendering a QT good for ONLY a medication tank, but what about the plastic HOB filters?

Matt

Myself I don't think I would put media from a QT into my main tank. Keeping a cheap sponge filter in the sump to use in the QT tank when it needs to be set up sounds good, then just add a new sponge filter to the sump for next time.

I wonder if an aquaclear 20 filter used during medication is now only good for medication? Ive heard of medication obsorbing into sillicone and thus rendering a QT good for ONLY a medication tank, but what about the plastic HOB filters?

Matt

I'm not sure. For the cost of an A20, I don't think I would risk it. Just get another one if you really need it.

Myself I don't think I would put media from a QT into my main tank. Keeping a cheap sponge filter in the sump to use in the QT tank when it needs to be set up sounds good, then just add a new sponge filter to the sump for next time.

This is what I was suggesting in case that wasn't clear. 100% agree.

I toss the bio media into my sumps and tear them down, clean them out, seal them with saran wrap, aluminum foil and a huge rubber band to keep debris out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom