Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
What you don't want to wake up to...

This morning I wake up to my wife saying, "Tony! Get out of bed! Your fish tank is making a weird sound." Bleary-eyed I crawled out of bed and walked into the living room to hear a horrible grinding-like sound. I looked at the sump and saw nothing wrong, but it was dim, so I walked over to take a closer look. The first thing I noticed was that my feet were wet. This was not good.

I looked at the sump and it was near bone dry. My system pump was making most of the horrible noise. I looked and saw the culprit pretty quickly. The hose going from my protein skimmer's pump to the protein skimmer had popped loose. I had sort of improvised a way to connect the two with a hose so that I would be able to fit them in my sump. Boy, was this a poor decision.

The protein skimmer's pump had blown all the water out of the sump onto the carpet and my system pump burned up as a result. So, I put just enough fresh water in the sump to get the protein skimmer pump to suck in some water. Then I hooked it up to the return hose so that there would be some water movement. At 10:00am sharp I was walking into the LFS to buy a replacement pump. I got a Mag-Drive 700gph pump and replaced brought it home to replace my system pump. Now everything is running again, and I have taken my protein skimmer out of my sump. I guess I'll have to get a smaller replacement, or a HOB, or just do without.

I don't know how long my system was running dry, but I'm praying it wasn't long enough to destroy the bacteria on my biomedia. I'd be devastated if my all-too-fragile longhorn cowfish were to go belly-up on me.

Anyway, that's my story for the day. Most of my friends wouldn't understand, so I'm putting it all on here.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

ack... horrible news. Sorry to hear it.

I wouldn't worry about your biomedia. It would take a fair amount of time (at least a day or two depending on ambient conditions) to kill off all the bacteria. If they were kept wet I wouldn't worry at all. Even if bone dry I'd think they would be ok for most of a day even. never went through it myself so this is only conjecture.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I sure hope you're right. My wife's roommate is coming in town this weekend with her husband and they're starting to get into the aquarium addiction. I have to have something other than a dead cowfish to show off.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 01-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
yeah I agree with billy.. one thing bacteria is, is a freakin' survivor...
Old 01-21-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My wife's roommate is coming in town this weekend with her husband and they're starting to get into the aquarium addiction. I have to have something other than a dead cowfish to show off
It's always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on your water parameters and make sure you don't get an amonia spike. I think after something like this I would check my water consistantly over the next few days just to be sure... but I'm also a rather paranoid individual
Old 01-21-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We have something in common, then.. I've already tested the water twice so far. Everything appears normal, though. we shall see.

I guess the upside is that I did an involuntary 5 gallon water change today, hahaha. Too bad the water that came out of the tank went in the carpet instead of down the drain.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I feel for you my friend. I shot up out of bed this morning in a panic (one of those moments when you instantly remember somthing) Only to run down to the basement and hit nothing else but wet carpet, VERY wet. I left the RO/DI unit on all night long and the container was already nearly full when I went to bed. I think I had about 50 - 70 gallons on the floor this morning. I was likely installing my new float for the RO container about the time you were installing your new pump!

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
my return plumbing once got dissconnetcted from my 2200 gph return pump, so i can feel your pain.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

hehehe i had my mag 24 pop the return hose off it shot water over my head and im 6'1" heheeh not fun !!
water screamers are a nice thing to buy !!!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are water screamers?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com