What you don't want to wake up to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This morning I wake up to my wife saying, "Tony! Get out of bed! Your fish tank is making a weird sound." Bleary-eyed I crawled out of bed and walked into the living room to hear a horrible grinding-like sound. I looked at the sump and saw nothing wrong, but it was dim, so I walked over to take a closer look. The first thing I noticed was that my feet were wet. This was not good.

I looked at the sump and it was near bone dry. My system pump was making most of the horrible noise. I looked and saw the culprit pretty quickly. The hose going from my protein skimmer's pump to the protein skimmer had popped loose. I had sort of improvised a way to connect the two with a hose so that I would be able to fit them in my sump. Boy, was this a poor decision.

The protein skimmer's pump had blown all the water out of the sump onto the carpet and my system pump burned up as a result. So, I put just enough fresh water in the sump to get the protein skimmer pump to suck in some water. Then I hooked it up to the return hose so that there would be some water movement. At 10:00am sharp I was walking into the LFS to buy a replacement pump. I got a Mag-Drive 700gph pump and replaced brought it home to replace my system pump. Now everything is running again, and I have taken my protein skimmer out of my sump. I guess I'll have to get a smaller replacement, or a HOB, or just do without.

I don't know how long my system was running dry, but I'm praying it wasn't long enough to destroy the bacteria on my biomedia. I'd be devastated if my all-too-fragile longhorn cowfish were to go belly-up on me.

Anyway, that's my story for the day. Most of my friends wouldn't understand, so I'm putting it all on here. :(

ack... horrible news. Sorry to hear it.

I wouldn't worry about your biomedia. It would take a fair amount of time (at least a day or two depending on ambient conditions) to kill off all the bacteria. If they were kept wet I wouldn't worry at all. Even if bone dry I'd think they would be ok for most of a day even. never went through it myself so this is only conjecture.

I sure hope you're right. My wife's roommate is coming in town this weekend with her husband and they're starting to get into the aquarium addiction. I have to have something other than a dead cowfish to show off. :roll:

My wife's roommate is coming in town this weekend with her husband and they're starting to get into the aquarium addiction. I have to have something other than a dead cowfish to show off
It's always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on your water parameters and make sure you don't get an amonia spike. I think after something like this I would check my water consistantly over the next few days just to be sure... but I'm also a rather paranoid individual :wink:

We have something in common, then.. I've already tested the water twice so far. Everything appears normal, though. we shall see.

I guess the upside is that I did an involuntary 5 gallon water change today, hahaha. Too bad the water that came out of the tank went in the carpet instead of down the drain.

I feel for you my friend. I shot up out of bed this morning in a panic (one of those moments when you instantly remember somthing) Only to run down to the basement and hit nothing else but wet carpet, VERY wet. I left the RO/DI unit on all night long and the container was already nearly full when I went to bed. I think I had about 50 - 70 gallons on the floor this morning. I was likely installing my new float for the RO container about the time you were installing your new pump!

my return plumbing once got dissconnetcted from my 2200 gph return pump, so i can feel your pain.

hehehe i had my mag 24 pop the return hose off it shot water over my head and im 6'1" heheeh not fun !!
water screamers are a nice thing to buy !!! :)

Back
Top Bottom