Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's a good beginner anemone?

Hi,

I'm new. I have a small FOWLR tank--35 gallons. It has been up for 3 months and I have a flame angel, goldbar maroon clown and 3 green chromis. I also have a coral banded shrimp and 5 blue leg hermits.

Everyone is doing well. I have a HOB Rena filter, 1 power sweep power head, Berlin Airlift 60 in-tank skimmer, and 50lbs of fiji live rock. I use tap water mixed with Instant Ocean to 1.025 SG and the temp is 79 degrees. I change 25% of the tank's volume bi-weekly.

I don't have good lights--2 ho T5's (1 actinic and 1 10000K). I would like to give my clown a "natual home". I had a larger reef a while ago with a bubble tip. I had him for a year and he got sucked into an intake and nuked the 75 reef (lps and softies).

I would like to keep my tank simple and really want a good basic anemone. I set up the tank at my daughter's request to give her something to do, as well. It has been a long time since I had the other reef tank so I am trying to clear the cob webs in the old ticker to get back into good habits.

Also, I don't want to go halide because of the power consumption, frequency to change bulbs and heat build up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics of my set up shortly.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is too early to add an anemone to your tank. You could add an imitation like this:
Or this is one in a feather Duster. They really don't care where or what they host.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I was going to give it time 6-9 more months. But I wanted to start getting some ideas of success stories with a hardy species. Maybe the GBTA is as good as it gets?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

waratah nems are small and very hardy !! but as thincat has stated they will host anything but no guarantee to host nem unless you pair them in a small container.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I didn't know that....I thought a maroon clown would just find its way to the anemone over time--depending pn the species of anemone. That's something to think about.

So, is it better to establish the anemone first, before getting the clown or the clown before the anemone, or buy them as a match if you can find it?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be them as a match That is what I did with my clarkis and carpet anemone In my other tank I bought my lta and maroons seperate they just started hosting today after being in there 2 months
Old 05-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

to be honest nems can be hard to keep even in an established tank,If your definately going for a clown and nem put them both into a small qt with nothing else to try to pair them.But again their is still no guarantee,mine used to host HA,powerhead,nem and now a terra cotta pot which they lay eggs in.Its all a bit hit and miss
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I understand. I would rather leave it in the ocean than kill an anemone on a try. I guess I really don't have the kind of set up for one, even after a well established tank.

One thing great about the hobby, is that there are so many interesting things to try. I know my question is probably pretty common with clownfish owners. Love the Gold Bar Maroon though. He is gorgeous. I think I might get him one of the fake anemones to see if they make friends. I won't tell him that it's not alive

I just hope the flame doesn't give him a hard time about playing with dolls.

Some eye candy of my 33 reef--couple years ago.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
Ok, I understand. I would rather leave it in the ocean than kill an anemone on a try. I guess I really don't have the kind of set up for one, even after a well established tank.

One thing great about the hobby, is that there are so many interesting things to try. I know my question is probably pretty common with clownfish owners. Love the Gold Bar Maroon though. He is gorgeous. I think I might get him one of the fake anemones to see if they make friends. I won't tell him that it's not alive

I just hope the flame doesn't give him a hard time about playing with dolls.
Lol I just got a new bubble tip last night the pet store gave him to me he is not any bigger than a quarter They said he will never live but from what I can tell their water in the tanks there are less then ideal for a nem I put him in mine and he looks twice as good as he did there
Old 05-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's some eye candy of my last tank. This was a 33 I was experimenting with. It did well. I will try to find the cable for my camera so I can upload pics of my new tank. It has a lot of potential and I am starting to get the reeg bug again.

Here we go again......

Sunday and bored as heck

Tags
anemone, beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com