whats a good hardy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to add another fish to my 55gal tank but dont know what kind to get, i would like one that is generally hardy and can coinside with a clown, a striped damsel and coral just wondering if anyone had some ideas

The damsel may cause you some problems down the road when adding new fish due to the aggressiveness of it, so you may want to get rid of it. Pajama cardinals are nice fish. They need to be in odd numbered groups of three or more. Very hardy little guys. Reef safe and leave almost, if not everything alone.

Gobies are a great group to choose from. Many are non-aggressive such as the yellow watchman and clown gobies.

A nice goby would be good in the tank. It would stay on the bottom, so the damsel will likely leave it alone

They look pretty good. Maybe the next one you get could be a goby. Pink spotted gobies are very entertaining.

img_1053879_0_cf20341d8247f24f16c2280d9b5ec597.jpg

thanks a lot. do all gobies just stay low?

They only come to the top when they are leaping to there death out of a VERY small hole in the eggcrate that covers the tank except for a small hole were the return enters your tank. My orange diamond goby was great for the 4 hours before I went to bed....when I got up the next morning....not so good. Make sure you tank is VERY well covered if you are considering a goby

any kind of goby! I've named my yellow clown goby "Flo" because we couldn't find him in the tank for a long time and then one day I was doing some maintenance on the skimmer and noticed him in the sump. Little bugger went through the overflow and had been down there for over a week.

I'd go with either a royal gramma or a fire fish (front half white and the back half red with a long white dorsal fin). Both are colorful, hardy, easy to take care of, and fairly inexpensive. One of my favorites though is a one spot rabbit fish. Fairly hardy but a little more expensive ($30 - $45ish). Just be careful of the dorsal fin, they are venomous. Not deadly (unless your allergic) but more like a bee sting.

To add to Keiths notes, These fish love to jump so be sure to have a covered top, preferred netting.

Back
Top Bottom