whats better for nitrates? skimmer or fluidized reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjoncoop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey fellaz

on my old tank i used to use a coralife protein skimmer and it worked great. im thinking about getting another one for my new tank. but ive seen people using a reactor filled with npx bioplastics / biopellets to help remove nitrates. which is better. about the same price.

i think i'm better off with a skimmer but was wondering your guys opinions

thx

I find a skimmer to be a mandatory piece of equipment for a saltwater tank. So my vote goes for a good skimmer. A biopellet reactor is pretty cheap and can be added later on easily.

Don't run a bio pellet reactor without a skimmer. You want the reactor output close to your skimmer input.

Are you talking about a sand-bed reactor? If you are i think they are very good in housing bacteria and doing the cycle. The combo is all you really need to maintain a saltwater tank with a ratio of 2lbs of live rock per gallon and 1lbs of live sand per gallon

A good quality skimmer takes out an amazing amount of waste. No comparison to a coralife super skimmer. I vote for a protein skimmer. A big one.

A good quality skimmer takes out an amazing amount of waste. No comparison to a coralife super skimmer. I vote for a protein skimmer. A big one.

I agree. Ditch the coralife skimmer for a good skimmer. My old coralife is sitting outside collecting cobwebs. Not a good skimmer at all.

Back
Top Bottom