Whats everyones favourite snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameron6796

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im contemplating what snail to get but have had bad experience with them breeding in my fw tanks what ones are your favourite snails ? Reasons ? Do they likely breed in captivity ?

You're best bet is to get multiple kinds instead of just one. I have cerith, nassarius, astrea, and trochus and think that combination does a pretty good job.

while i agree is some ways to use different ones i would go with trochus over astrea, they are large eat the same algae and they can right themselves after they get turned over unlike astrea which struggle and can end up dying or beign lunch for some other crabs or inverts.

i would stick with trocjhus and turbos snails for grazing and nassarius for sand stiring and detritus control, but also have an assortment of inverts in your CUC like serpent stars and different crabs and shrimp, each have their own qualities

Are you asking which ones are our personal favorites? Or is the question which ones we think are more useful?

Personally, I like the nassarius snail the most. They remind me of a horde of zombies rising from their graves every time food I put in the tank :D

I would think that Cerith snails are more useful, especially in smaller tanks since they aren't bulldozers like turbos and can get in nooks and crannies as well as eating a broad range of food.

Are you asking which ones are our personal favorites? Or is the question which ones we think are more useful?

Personally, I like the nassarius snail the most. They remind me of a horde of zombies rising from their graves every time food I put in the tank :D

I would think that Cerith snails are more useful, especially in smaller tanks since they aren't bulldozers like turbos and can get in nooks and crannies as well as eating a broad range of food.

Hey I was going to use the zombie line :) Nassarius the big ones are cool but you need more of a sand bed or they run into stuff. Work turbos smaller ones they grow and cerith they live in sand keep it stirred and I go hunting for them.

My favorite snail is the Nassarius, but I don't see them eating any fish poop. They only go after meaty foods. You may have to feed them if you don't feed a lot or have a lot of fish with "tiger oscar" type appetites (I'm thinking of my vlamingi tang), which don't let anything hit the bottom.
What is it you want to achieve with a snail?

My favorite snail is the Nassarius, but I don't see them eating any fish poop. They only go after meaty foods. You may have to feed them if you don't feed a lot or have a lot of fish with "tiger oscar" type appetites (I'm thinking of my vlamingi tang), which don't let anything hit the bottom.

I want algae removal so not nassarius but dont want them reproducing and it also can't be to big so probably no turbo snails

Nothing is going to reproduce, so no need to worry about that. You'll see eggs here and there, but the fish gobble them up as soon as they hatch.
What kind of algae are we speaking of?

Bottom line, nothing keeps algae at bay better than reasonable feeding and water changes.
You don't really need a CUC at all.

+1, You should get one or two nassarius for the pure enjoyment. Man those puppies can move!!

I like my super Tongan nassaris snails. Not much of an algae eater but supper cool.

Back
Top Bottom