Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whats everyones favourite snail

Im contemplating what snail to get but have had bad experience with them breeding in my fw tanks what ones are your favourite snails ? Reasons ? Do they likely breed in captivity ?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You're best bet is to get multiple kinds instead of just one. I have cerith, nassarius, astrea, and trochus and think that combination does a pretty good job.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

while i agree is some ways to use different ones i would go with trochus over astrea, they are large eat the same algae and they can right themselves after they get turned over unlike astrea which struggle and can end up dying or beign lunch for some other crabs or inverts.

i would stick with trocjhus and turbos snails for grazing and nassarius for sand stiring and detritus control, but also have an assortment of inverts in your CUC like serpent stars and different crabs and shrimp, each have their own qualities
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you asking which ones are our personal favorites? Or is the question which ones we think are more useful?

Personally, I like the nassarius snail the most. They remind me of a horde of zombies rising from their graves every time food I put in the tank

I would think that Cerith snails are more useful, especially in smaller tanks since they aren't bulldozers like turbos and can get in nooks and crannies as well as eating a broad range of food.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Are you asking which ones are our personal favorites? Or is the question which ones we think are more useful?

Personally, I like the nassarius snail the most. They remind me of a horde of zombies rising from their graves every time food I put in the tank

I would think that Cerith snails are more useful, especially in smaller tanks since they aren't bulldozers like turbos and can get in nooks and crannies as well as eating a broad range of food.
Hey I was going to use the zombie line Nassarius the big ones are cool but you need more of a sand bed or they run into stuff. Work turbos smaller ones they grow and cerith they live in sand keep it stirred and I go hunting for them.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
My favorite snail is the Nassarius, but I don't see them eating any fish poop. They only go after meaty foods. You may have to feed them if you don't feed a lot or have a lot of fish with "tiger oscar" type appetites (I'm thinking of my vlamingi tang), which don't let anything hit the bottom.
What is it you want to achieve with a snail?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
My favorite snail is the Nassarius, but I don't see them eating any fish poop. They only go after meaty foods. You may have to feed them if you don't feed a lot or have a lot of fish with "tiger oscar" type appetites (I'm thinking of my vlamingi tang), which don't let anything hit the bottom.
What is it you want to achieve with a snail?
I want algae removal so not nassarius but dont want them reproducing and it also can't be to big so probably no turbo snails
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing is going to reproduce, so no need to worry about that. You'll see eggs here and there, but the fish gobble them up as soon as they hatch.
What kind of algae are we speaking of?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nothing in particular yet thankfully just planning a CUC
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bottom line, nothing keeps algae at bay better than reasonable feeding and water changes.
You don't really need a CUC at all.

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com