Whats going on with polyps??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a picture a few days ago.

View attachment 95271

And here's a picture of the past 3 days. I haven't moved it, current hasn't changed, lights haven't changed. Everything remains the same. All parameters came back normal. Calcium was lower then the norm at 380.

View attachment 95273

Last edited:
Do you think that favia could be at war with it after dark? It looks like you've moved corals around a bit, if not the GSP.

mr_X said:
Do you think that favia could be at war with it after dark? It looks like you've moved corals around a bit, if not the GSP.

Could be, you would know better then me :(

I moved the polyps further away and will keep an eye on them. Something is going on for sure and I'll try and get a handle on it. My LFS said that from the pic they don't look dead which is good. Maybe just stressed or not happy where they are anymore. So I did move them a little and I'm gonna see of that changes. They were on of my favorites because when they open there so pretty and big. I liked how they flow in the water current.

Same thing happened to mine so i did a water change and they haven't opened up again idk what's wrong

Hondachico said:
Same thing happened to mine so i did a water change and they haven't opened up again idk what's wrong

Hmmm... I'm scheduled for a water change tonight. I wonder now if that's just aggravate it more. I'm at a loss. I'm right around the from a good LFS that has nice size polyps, the same kind. I'm wondering if I should get one and move the one I have to my buddy's fish store and see what it does in his tank and also see how the new one does. Just a thought. Or wait it out and see what this one does. Stinks cause I really like it.

Honestly nothing changed. Salinity, cal, mag, alk, trates,trites, pH all have been stable. Only thing was a water change last Saturday. I did move it yesterday further from the other coral but in the spot it's been in for months it's been open really nicely. I guess it's just one of those things...

Last edited:
One GSP isn't going to behave better than another. Taking one out and replacing it isn't going to make a difference.

Agreed. It's reacting to the tank. Any other will prob do the same. Need to figure out the cause. If it was being stung, and it was moved, then it should recover.

Yeah your right... I'm just gonna take a closer look and see if I can figure anything out. Also I just did my water change so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Def look better! X was probably right, just a little to close to its neighbor.
Usually a water change, when done correctly, will always make things a little better. I say when done correctly because last month I tried to use up some old IO salt and it stayed chunky even after 48 hrs. of mixing with a power head. I went ahead and used it and lost my Symphodium. My trusted LFS said that some of the chunks prob got in/on it and I burned it. It just melted away! Really sucked cause it was doing great. Luckily none of my large LPS, or anything else was effected.
Good luck Convict

Thank you! Sorry about your coral I guess this hobby is always a learning process. You think you know something then BAM! Something new pops up. Good luck to you as well...

Back
Top Bottom