whats in your 50-55g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi :) i was wondering what fish you have in your 50/55g tank? im looking for stocking plans (my 55 is still cycling) thanks!

In mine I have a royal gamma, clown fish, flasher wrasse and an algae blenny. I realize I could have one or maybe two others but these guys get along very well.

I have a 40 gal...but I have six line wrasse, pair of clowns, red fire fish, yellow tang, blue tang. All fish are under 3 inches. Planning on getting a skunk cleaner shrimp as well.

I have a 40 gal...but I have six line wrasse, pair of clowns, red fire fish, yellow tang, blue tang. All fish are under 3 inches. Planning on getting a skunk cleaner shrimp as well.

Just a BIG FYI, those tangs may not last long in a 40g tank. They need a 6 foot tank for sure, especially the blue tang. They are extremely active fish and in small tanks tend to not do as well, some even dying before their time. The small tanks stress them out and make them susceptible to disease much more so than any other sw fish in my opinion.

When my 55g was up and running full steam I had:

pair of b&w clowns
lawnmower blenny
pink spotted watchman goby
royal gramma

I could have added maybe 2-3 more but choose to leave it open in case I ever saw a fish I HAD to have lol

I have a orange spotted goby, fox face tang, and the typical CUC, and a cleaner shrimp! I have a 55 gallon that is only 4 months old. Love my goby

wow all opf your tanks sound interesting ^^ heres what i plan to put in my 55:
2 clowns (1 maroon and 1 b/w)
3 chromis
starry blenny (maybe)
mandarin (maybe)
a sea hare (love these i think they look like little hippos lol)
cleaner shrimp
and a cleaner wrasse
please let me know if im overstocked i dont quite understand sw stocking yet and if any of these fish dont get along thanks :)

I'd hold off on the mandarin for quite some time, almost impossible tokeep alive, trust me, I have one. They need an established tank with lots of pods which won't appear overnight or even over a month.

The only other warning I would give is the sea hare. I have one and they get quite large! Mine was about 2-3 inches a few months ago and now he's like 6 inches or better. Plus they eat algae and after thats gone you have to keep feeding him algae sheets. They also get sucked up in filters, powerheads and overflows. I've been really lucky with mine. A friend of mine just had hers sucked up by an aquaclear filter intake and it wasn't pretty. :-(

Otherwise your list looks good, can probably add another fish or two depending on what they are.

Also, out of all the clowns I believe the maroons are the most aggressive while the b&w's are the most meek. lol

Someone correct me if I;m wrong as I dont have a maroon clown. ;-)

okay, will maroons get along with any other type of clown? or should i stick with the one?

kathleen55 said:
okay, will maroons get along with any other type of clown? or should i stick with the one?

Just the maroon. Have you looked at the maroon goldstripe yet? IMO I like then better than the plain maroon. Only about $5 more than normal.

Maroon clowns are aggressive towards other maroons and every other clown species. Mine however, is nice to all the other fish. it's like the wise female. I like the one without the goldstripes though lol

slitherbomb said:
Maroon clowns are aggressive towards other maroons and every other clown species. Mine however, is nice to all the other fish. it's like the wise female. I like the one without the goldstripes though lol

You are probably right.

Is there something you don't like about regualr perculas and oscellaris's? You can mix and match them and they are less aggressive than the maroons. Unless of course you have a thing for the maroon, then I would get what you really want. But if it's clowns in general then maybe a b&w pair or even a b&w with an orange oscellaris. if they pair up you get some awesome mixes. If they were to survive .

I beleive they paired a snowflake oscellaris with a black & white to get black ice clowns, which in my opinion are my FAVE clowns. lol

Back
Top Bottom