Whats my lighting like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikalicious209

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im just wondering what my lighting would be considered. I have a "hot rod" system, not really diy as much as assembling things myself. I have a fluval edge set up with just the tank. On top, I have an exoterra compact top dual fixture. im running 2 10 watt 50/50 cfl bulbs, along with 2 12 in. 19 watt panorama pro modules. One of them is the 12000k/ 453nm blue strip, and the other is the 453 blue/magenta strip. Does this give me enough to keep some sps corals, our would this still be considered lower light?

with a mix like that, it is hard to say until you test your par at the bottom of the tank, if you have about 200 at bottom of your tank then it should be good. Cuz for a smaller tank like that, you kind of hard to not put some of your coral at the bottom

You should be fine with LPS and softies....I would test it out with a monti of some sort...I've had many monti caps and branching montis do well user pretty low lighting. It also depends whether you have the newer taller Fluval Edge or the other model that's like 6gallons...just because of height

Its the taller one, 12 gallons, and I dont really have means to check par ratings. Did get 2 sps frags from work for dirt cheap so ill use those as testers I guess.

Yeah just try to put them high up with a descent amount of flow. Should be fine like at the least they'll say alive and you just won't experience any serious growth. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom