What's the best activated carbon to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marineland's Black Diamond. By far the best out there, IMO. Also, its not too expensive either.

just a quick question but...where do you put carbon at? do you put it in your filter. and what does it do?

You would want to put it where it can get the most water moving threw it. Like your drains if you have sump, and it removes discoloration and odor and makes the water clear.

Should I run it all the time? If I do will it remove to much good stuff from the water?

On a fish only i run it 24/7 and change it monthly. Some people do some dont if your doing monthly water changes like you should be it wont hurt to run it 24/7 and just change it when you do the water

I heard that the actived carbon only last a few days. Is this true?

I'm not sure how long it actually stays activated, but bacteria will grow on the pourous surfaces and they in turn will break down waste products.

I have never heared of it only lasting a couple days. there is no real way of knowing. Every thing i have ever heared says to change it once a month. Everyone does things different. I wouldnt change it every couple days thoe! But if it's only good for a couple days then how would it pull to much trace elements out of the water??? Doing water changes is what replaces thoes things so just keep up on your tank and you'll be fine!!

I use Tetra carbon and it only lasts about a week. I ran the carbon to get rid of "green water" and it did starting the 2nd day but at the end of the week (roughly 8 days) the green water came back. Either my carbon was crappy or it absorbed A LOT of algae and became uneffective afterwards.

I just picked up the Walmart brand a few days ago, its in the exact same container as the Marineland and if you look on the label it even states that it was manufactured by Marineland. Price was 5.89 while the local Petco was 10.98

I use a pelletized carbon that I have been really happy with so far, I will have to find the bottle when I get home, and I will let ya'll know the name brand.

What does anyone think about Chemi-Pure?

I just started using it at the recommendation of my LFS.
Chemi-Pure Claims the product needs to be changed every few months.
Yeah ok.
I plan to change it monthly.

Some Filters actually incorporate carbon into their filters. I have a Marineland Millennium2000 hang on back filter. The filter cartridge has black diamond carbon in it and it works great because when the water passes through the filter it filtered biologically, mechanically, and chemically. But that Black Diamond stuff works pretty good at making crystal clear water. When I dont change the filter the water gets a little cloudy and when I replace it its clear in like 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom