Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whats the best advice i can get for a spotted mandarine?

I purchased a spotted mandarine tonight. I was wondering if anyone has any good thoughts about good care of them? I got a little advice from the local fish store. But i wanted everyone opinion here. Thanks[/code]

Old 09-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best advice I can give you is that these fish do best with a good bit of live rock with a plentiful supply of pods to eat. This normally requires an established system. I've also read of people using fuges to propagate pods for the madarin. Good luck. They are great fish.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really should do research before purchase but I've also done this before I knew better . Here ya go

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...showpage&pid=3

Good Luck
Old 09-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Read that article. It's quite good. I have LR and macro in my sump (fuge area) for breeding pods and a large pod pile in my tank. I have two juvenile mandarins (didn't see one for a month, bought another, then saw both a month later). My tank is 125 gallons with 190+ pounds of LR and a DSB. It was set up for over a year before I got a mandrin.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Dumb question what is a pod and what lives inside of it and how do i get the little critters to plant into the pod? This was not a good fish to buy i have no lr or pods. I was told they eat live foods so i planned on simply feeding them brine shrimp.I'm glad to have you guys here to help thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

A pod is short for copepods or amphipods. They are small animals that are natural prey for the mandarin and other species. Mandarins are known as pod-eating machines. I have read where some have coaxed them into taking other foods but it seems to be a rarity. Many people purchase mandarins after bad advice from LFS. They are beautiful fish and inexpensive...a combination not common in this hobby. You might consider trying some other foods since you already have it but it might be a better idea to find a new home.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would bring it back if you can. It will likely starve without LR and/or PODS. They are beautiful though.

Mike
Old 09-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have no LR IMO you should take it back to the LFS and get your money back. Even if it eats some prepaired foods it needs pods for the long haul.
How old and what size tank..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Mandarin is eating flakes and granules and also brine shrimp he is starting to plump out again. I'm going to be getting some live rock in the next couple weeks. What a cool fish.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

you got lucky. most people can't get those things to eat anything. Mine loves wardleys shrimp pellets and frozen brine shrimp though so I got lucky too.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com