Whats the best Ca, dKH and Mg for sps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats the best Ca, dKH and Mg for sps?

I have always heard and been told that you should keep your levels in this range:

Ca - 380 - 460ppm
dKH - 8 - 12
Mg - 1250 - 1600ppm

now these are a big difference between the two sides of the scale.

I was told that you should keep your dKH high as this will keep the pH change from day to night as minimal as possible. So with doing this you are also keeping your Ca and Mg in the upper scale (if using a ca reactor like me).

But i have heard of people 'burning' there acro colonies from having a stable high dKH.

But i know that we all want to acheive the Nsw levels as much as possible, which is:

Ca - 420
dKH - 8
Mg - 1400

But i was wondering what was best, whether to have a lower dKh (eg 8)and risk the pH fluctuation, or have a higher dKH (eg 12) and risk acro 'burning'?

Whats your thoughts?

Andrew

I keep my Alk around 8-9 DKH, Ca balanced with that (which comes out to around ~420-440 ppm), and my Mg at around 1250-1300.

But i was wondering what was best, whether to have a lower dKh (eg 8)and risk the pH fluctuation, or have a higher dKH (eg 12) and risk acro 'burning'?

I have never heard of "burning" corals because of a high Alk. IME, a high alk can lead to abiotic precipitation if the pH also goes too high as well.

biggen, bu 'burning' i mean it can be a contributer to rtn? or cause the coral strees which with another factor like 'self shading' causes tissue los in an area and then rtn hits the colony or wbd.

my levels at the current moment are ca is 450, dkh is 12.2, and mg is 1480. do you think i should lower this?

my levels at the current moment are ca is 450, dkh is 12.2, and mg is 1480. do you think i should lower this?

I don't think you should do anything to it if there are no problems... Quite a few people run their tanks with Alk and Ca high with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom