Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: What is the best cleaner critter?
cleaner wrasse 0 0%
cleaner goby 0 0%
cleaner shrimp 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best cleaner critter?

Which of these is the best cleaner for other fish?

sw-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
IMO, the cleaner shrimp is the best choice. It will take to alternate foods and is not prone to get the parasite it is cleaning from the fish. One thing to note...none of the "cleaner" critters are efficient enough to control an outbreak of ick or velvet in a closed system. If you suspect (or know) your fish has a parasitic infestation...it should be removed to a q-tank and treated appropriately.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read numerous sources saying to leave the cleaner wrasse where it belongs: in its natural habitat...in the ocean, of course. I'm going to be getting a cleaner shrimp and a neon blue goby. But I don't have any experience with either yet. Just letting ya know what I'd heard about the cleaner wrasse.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
i was told that cleaner wrasses actually when opened up that they found that they eat the flesh off the fish and that its thought that if feed raw fish that your chances to keep alive would be better !! not sure if i believe that but i confronted the owner at living seas aquarium after he said that they dont sell fish that wouldnt survive in an aquarium and that there is a organization that is trying to control the selling of such animals !! but then had a hawaiian wrasse which i believe are one of the worst to keep !! their better looking for sure but still !!
good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Won't cleaner wrassles and cleaner gobys when they get larger stop their cleaning habits?
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

clean, cleaner, critter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com