Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I have way less experience than the others who commented already..... however, I don't have any issues with my CC. I have a very THIN CC bed in my tank. I vacuum it once a month and I have 0-nitrates. Personally I don't like a deep sand bed (although this is the best way to go) because I don't like the way it looks after awhile through the glass. From pictures I have seen it starts to......well I guess just not look like clean sand anymore. So I try to avoid that eye soar. When I get an upgraded/bigger tank I will probably either do a thin layer of CC again, or a thin layer of argonite sand.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Going from Cmor's last post, you can get sand sifters/stirrers to keep the top layer clean. CC is really a personal preference. If you can keep it clean and like the look, go for it! For me, it took a lot more cleaning (depending on your livestock). I found a lot of other critters that I liked and wanted in my tank. like nassi snails, gobies and other sand sifters that the CC limited.
Ryshark, if you like the look (a thin CC bed is relatively easy to clean) and are happy with it, you aren't the only person in the world that has one, go for it. I think you are on the right track with a thin CC bed. More comes into play if you have a deep bed and messy eaters or a higher bioload.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

CC is a nitrate collecting farm. A tank break down is stressfull to the stock so the less the better.

If its a FOWLR and you have FO type fish with little to no CUC then go bare bottom. Or replace with a sand bed.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Yes definitely thin with CC. I do have about 10 nassarius in there that are doing great. And the CC is deep enough for them to be fully submerged in it. I have noticed over the past month that my CC is all purple and pink now from coralline growth. It actually looks pretty cool.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

IF you have pink coralline i dought your water quality is poor. Pink and brown coralline is much harder to achieve. Im guessing you have a good maintance scedule and good flow and good feeding habits.

Nass snails would be happier with a sand bed and a SB would help with water quality. Plus the fact you have snails with a FO tank means you have reef type fish. If so then why not add coral. They help remove algea causing nutreints and reduce uneatin food. A FO tank usually means aggresive fish that eat your CUC. If you have fish and feed well then coral most coral will need no extra attention.

Still cant believe you have pink coralline on your CC , a pic would be a great badge as many dont ever even see this and might not even have heard of it.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think you're confusing ryshark with the original poster who has a FO tank. Ryshark has a reef tank with corals.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I do have a reef tank. Honest to God, I just did a pwc tonight and vacuumed my CC bed. I did this after lights out and I am assuming that stirring the CC mixed the pink CC with the white CC beneath it. I will look tomorrow when the lights come back on. If it is mixed up I will post a picture before I do my next pwc in 1-month, I'm assuming it will have grown back by then. I am not claiming it to be thick coralline like you see on some LR. Im just saying that my white CC has turned pinkish and purplish and my guess would be coralline.
As for now, I went through my old pictures and found this one of my dying Acan (tissue damage from falling) which was on the substrate so you can kind of see what I am talking about. But this picture does not really do what I am talking about any justice.
I also included a picture of my substrate from months ago so you can kind of see the difference. By the way, that is a crocea clam on the bottom of my tank without halides. You may not believe that I was able to keep that clam healthy for around 7-months to date, either.
I never claimed to have poor water quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	14061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	14062  

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
I would get rid of it myself. It Really will keep lots of debris in it. But if you must keep it, get a large strainer and rinse it with a hose. Leave it out in the sun, to bleach, and you wont have to boil it.
Just make a square frame out of 2x4's and cover with aluminum screening. Rinse the coral using that and a hose... all the detritus and fine sand will fall through and leave you with almost new coral. After its cleaned, put the coral in a bucket with a little vinegar and that will make it sparkling clean. Rinse with clean water. Dry in the sun for a few days before putting back in tank.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The pics you lwft appear to be in a fresh tank. Its real clean . How old is this tank?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
The pics you lwft appear to be in a fresh tank. Its real clean . How old is this tank?
Its not my tank, but my tank (fw) is just as clean and it has been up 1 month shy of 10 years.

Tags
clean, coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com