Whats the best way to get food out of rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyden71

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think iv got a phos problem in my 55g and I think it's caused be rotten food which as gotten into the rocks and the cleaner shrimp or blue legged hermit crab can't get to it. So can I use a power head to blow it out or will that cause problems ? Or what's the best scavenger fish that I can put in tank that will and can get into all the nucks and cranneys and eat it would a gobby do that ? Thank

I went to the dollar store and bought a couple turkey basters. Those work decent for blowing the crud out of the rock. I do it once a week before I do a water change

I've been told there is a small spike when you aggitate something. If you move sand around and it releases garbage. Or moving rock around can cause a spike.. So it's possible blowing out the rocks could cause one.. But if you clean the rock and then do a water change . You should be ok. I've been doing it for months and have not had an issue

Spike can happen anytime if your filtration is barely enough. Moving stuff inside the tank can stress your fish and may be releasing some ammonia from moving uneaten food will affect your tank if you don't do a water change.

I know a guy that uses no filter media.. Live rock is it.. I use one layer of the blue pad and rinse it weekly. I'm pushing around 500 g an hour thru the sump.

blowing your rocks with a small powerhead will be the best way to get detritus out of the rocks...
however if you are having phosphate problems then that wont help. what you need is a better water source. if you are using tap water then that is the problem. if you are using rodi water then maybe time to replace the filters. check if they are dirty and test out the water. otherwise, maybe look into buying a phosban reactor.

goodluck!

I buy my water from a aquarium store so that should be ok the algea is going so I think phos should be under control fingers crossed

I buy my water from a aquarium store so that should be ok the algea is going so I think phos should be under control fingers crossed

It's only RO at the lfs. I had the same problem. IMO get a rodi make your own.

I'm thinking about it because it will cost me £100 for the ro-di unit then I need a bath or bucket to put water in the biggest problem I have is some where for the unit to go in the house

best way i've found is to keep a high flow and keep spaces between the rocks, also feed enough that all the fish can eat and whatever other food is wasted is cleans up by crabs/shrimps, some snails, stars, pods, or worms.

if you are talkign about high levels of nutrients that have been soaked up by rocks, the only real is to dilute it with waterchanges and over time the levels will drop, just keep feedings to a minumum and do weekly waterchanges

I keep a 35g tote in my basement. From walmart.. Cut a hole for a bulkhead so I can easily take water out.

Back
Top Bottom