What's the best way to get rid of green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best way to get rid of green hair algae other then cleaning the rock ?

Are you using ro/di water for your water changes and top off? Using treated tap water is a great way to get algae. lol More water changes are a good way to export out the excess nutrients that the algae is using to grow. :)

Yup I always use ro water and I was thinking of maybe getting a nitrate reactor or phosbane (not sure about the exact spelling ) what's the difference between the 2

Nitrate reactor uses bio pellets, a bag of GFO or rowa phos just goes in your sump or you put it in the flow of water and it absorbs phosphates. The reactor I believe doesn't absorb the phosphates but allows a bed of bacteria to form that consumes the phosphates and nitrates that changes it into a gas.

Is it only on one rock take it out the next time you do a water change then scrub it and rinse it in the waste water. I will add a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to the water waste water and that seems to help kill what is left on it. If it is the full tank manual removal and water changes is what worked for me until I got the stuff under control. The rocks I got was off craigslist but a good price with very few other problems.

What I have done in the past was test ur mag level and then add magnesium to ur tank it will kill off the hair algae but I was a fish only tank when I did that idk if it will have problems with a reef if that is what u have

If you can take out the rock with algea on it you can pour straight peroxide on it scrub it and rinse not only do you have no more Aleah but it will not grow back on that rock you can also dose up to 1 milliliter per 10 gallons of water to treat your whole tank totally reef safe

They really are!! i have one and he goes to town on any algae that trys to grow :) keeps my tank super clean

I did have a hair algae bloom in my 55 reef and I put Mexican Turbo snails in there and it was all gone in a week

Thanks guys i picked up a turbo yesterday he's been on the algae all day lol

you could also use vodka or isoprople alchohol, its called the vodka method and is a method used to help bring nitrates and phosphates down.

PS: a skimmer will not remove phosphates from the water, and that is the biggest cause of hair algae.

i w ould get a phosban reactor and some two little fishies GFO, it helps keep phosphates out but will also help with nitrates also

Back
Top Bottom