whats the chance of it living

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
about 2 weeks ago i found a white star fish crawling around in my heater guard and this star fish only has 2 legs! i dont know what happend too the other 3, the star fish came with some live rock, i saw the little guy again today as it was moving up the out side of the heater guard, correct me if im wrong but iv read that star fish that lose a leg are most likely mortaly wonded and this little guy has lost 3 legs, its aboout 1cm long. do you think it will live much longer? any ideas why it never leaves the heater guard? the tank is 80 degrees so it cant be cold.

My guess is he will be ok.

As long as the center disk is still there the starfish will be able to eat and continue to nurish itself so it can regrow the other 3 leggs.

It might not leave the heater guard simply because it feels safer there.

One thing about the little white starfish...they have six legs and reproduce by dropping a leg, which grows into another star, so I'd say the 2 legged star has a good chance of living as well as having 4 more somewhere in the tank ;)

Here is a pic of mine, likely the coral eaters, as I find them they go into the fuge...
star1.sized.jpg

star4.sized.jpg

Back
Top Bottom