What's the craziest thing you've seen come out of your live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJsChaos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking at my zoanthid in my tank last night and I notice something behind him. I thought it was a hermit crab's legs, and then I looked closer and I saw a claw. It's a crab! I didn't buy it so it must have been hiding in the live rock the whole time. He looks identical to my emerald crab just deep purple.

I tried looking him up and I read a few articles on crabs doing damage to SPS. I don't currently have any SPS in my tank. This crab's claws look identical to my emerald crab's claws. Do I need to worry about this crab? Could he be safe like my emerald? Could he be the same species as my emerald crab? I just caught myself saying "he" the whole time. We named him Shadow already. :D If I see him again I'll try to get a picture.

Nudibranch, worms, amphipods, copepods, a huge crab (I gave it back to the initial LR owner)... Dinoflagellates too...

Purple coraline :D

Emrauld crabs are not reef safe, except if they have something to eat all the time. When they starve, they tend to eat corals.

A baby pistol shrimp, can still hear it click it claw now and again so must be growing

I've gotten many hitchhikers pods,small clams,brain coral,zoa's,worms,blenny,crabs,macro algae,shrooms,serpent stars

Bicolor blenny was the coolest I've found, I have maybe a half dozen or more pistol shrimps that came in on this rock. They behave so far, but it sounds like a problem machine at times

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Has anybody heard of a spoon worm? It hides inside a rock and you will only see it's arm or I would say its tongue that is shaped like a Y. It stretches like a rubber band at night and clean up the substrate. I called it the Marine Alien.

Never heard of it. Have a picture by chance. Sounds freaky lol

That crazy starfish arm looking thing is a worm? That's nuts. Wow

I once turned the lights on and there was a green worm that had to have been 2 feet long streched from a rock to a cliff. It was insane. The light scared it and it ran away.

I've found many crabs, they're always cool.

Best hithchiker was green and purple branching montipora. There was no sign of it at all, it must have broken off and left a tiny peice. Then all of a sudden I see some white stuff growing in 2 spots. A couple of months later I have 2 little frags and now I have 2 full colonies of the sps. My LFS are selling colonies for $70 each right now...ha ha! I've actually fragged each one a couple of times too, the stuff grows like weeds...

Back
Top Bottom