Whats the deal with iodine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANSTER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep seeing conflicting info concerning iodine. Some say they add it, some say no-no. I bought a reef additive kit containing three bottles. A bottle of concentrated liquid calcium to add 5 ml to 50 gals every day. A bottle of strontium & molybdenum to add 5 ml to 50 gals every 4 days. And a bottle of iodine to add 8 drops per 50 gals every day. I have a 46 gal bow so ive been using that 50 gal measurement thinking that little difference wouldnt hurt. I have anenomes, polyps, inverts, live rock, fish. It seems as though its helping my purple coralinne. Can you tell me if this is good to use? Should I stop the iodine? Or anything else? Thanks for help.

I do not belive in adding anything I cannot test for.
I agree however you can test for Iodine.. However the tests arent very accurate but better than no test.. IMO Iodine and other supplements besides a Ca and Alk supplement are for people who like to Slack on water changes 2+ months.. If you are doing regular water changes or Have an entire tank filled full of a bunch of softies (rare) then your change water should all all the other supplements that your tank needs..

HTH<
James

These are Kent Marine products and the package reads"bio-available supplements for reef type marine aquariums"! I do 25% water changes every 2-3 weeks.

I would say with those water changes I would not add iodine or the stronium at all.. I do 10% biweekly and have never added either without an issue.. As for CAlcium I would test then add as needed to maintain a min of 350ppm

HTH<
James

Youve supplied some fine scientific info with those links reefrunner, but i'm curious, what are your feelings on this? What supplements do you use, if any, continuously?

well i have a toadstool leather and about once a month he closes up for some time. i have found if i add V to the tank (just a little) he will open right up in about an hour or so. but i only do that when he closes up for more then a few days. and when i do i only add for a 30 gal tank and i have a 46 gal tank. less is better then more. i do a 10 gal water change about every 2 weeks.

Ya, what is "V" I might guess he meant "I" but "I" is nowhere near "V" on the keyboard lol.

I used to dose Iodine for the same reason you are, because the bottle said to. Truth is with feeding and and water changes Iodine supplementation is not important. Like above, if you had a tank full of softies then you may need to dose, but iodine is difficult to measure accurately and it is easy to overdose with supplements. I stopped dosing about 9mos ago and have seen no ill effects from stopping.

no v was going to be ctrl-v (the hot key) because i had cut some thing and was trying to use it in my post it was going to be strontium & molybdenum i was lazy and did not want to type it all out.

I do not believe there is any evidence that proves that iodine is necessary for a healthy reef tank. I do not add it to my tanks, the only additive I do regular is I top off the tank 24/7 with kalkwasser and I do bi-weekly waterchanges.

I agree that less is more when it comes to adding iodine. A big risk with iodine is overdosing, which can easily be toxic to your inverts. We dose iodine, but at around half of the recommended dosage.

Back
Top Bottom