Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Whats the difference of PC and MH?

Sorry if this has been debated before, but why do people have both types of lights? What do PC do that MH dont and visa versa?

Old 12-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
There are some good comparisons between MH and fluorescents here:

http://fins.actwin.com/reefkeepers/reefkeeper1.html#3.1

Old 12-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
If you mean hy do people have both in the same tank it is because the pcs come in actinic and supplement the halides in the blue spectrum
Old 12-11-2003, 12:56 PM   #4

yes that's correct. MH lamps have a red spectrum, HPS lamps have a blue spectrum and PC lights come a many different spectrums. hps and mh lamps are commonly used as street lamps hps ones are the ones you see with the orange glow and mh are the whiter bluer ones. I might have the spectrum mixed up but thats the deal!. Plus metal halides use a lot of power and get real hot.

dela
Old 12-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
hps
hps = High pressure sodium lamp
Old 12-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One of the athetic things is that since the MH bulbs have all hteir light originating from a point vs having the light emit from a 2' or 3' lenght the intensity is greater and you get a very nice rippling effect when looking at the tank.

MH bulbs should be placed so they are 2' apart. If you have a 4' tank you should shoot for 2 MH bulbs, etc.

PC is a florecent bulb so the entire bulb lenght emits light. The total amount of light might be simular but the intensity is usually consitered lower since the light is spread out over a larger area.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got my MH yesterday and run right down to the LFS for SPS.. I now have no room on the top of my tank.. The lights are hanging over. Am I getting it right from about that if I have MH I really dont need the PC other then for color???
Old 12-11-2003, 08:28 PM   #8

Correcdt. The pc are pretty much for actinic supplementation at this point. Althought not needed any extra light in the tank will help your corals grow!! How's the temp with the new lights?
Old 12-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont really know if it will spike the temp or not just yet. I have only had it on a few times & for only 2 hours each time. I picked up a timer today at the local hardware store so after this weekend I will have a better idea. Do you also sell tanks?? I found one yesterday at the LFS and if you can get the same one I will order thru you.. Let me know via private message as I sure no one else cares...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com