Whats the easiest way to do a water change with a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just about to do my first water change after installing a sump and was wondering if it is easier to pull the water from the main tank or just right out of the sump. Also I have a refuge in the sump, so will taking the water out of their and replacing it in such a small area affect the macro? TIA.....

In my opinion it is easier to just syphon off the water from the display tank and to replace it there as well. You can do a little light vacuum job to the substrate at the same time if you wanted to.

Assuming that your fuge is at floor level, that makes it rather difficult to syphon from. It would also be a rather large water change for the fuge.

My sump is a 75 gal tub so maybe it is easier but I drain my sump and part of my frag tank that is in the basement when I do a water change. I have a ball valve in line that takes drain water and I just turn it on. You could easily do this with the return pump. I have done both ways. I have also dropped a mag7 in the sump to drain it as well. Keeps my carpet upstairs from getting wet :)

Back
Top Bottom