What's the latest on live rock supply? News?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcrack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone fill me in on what is happening with the supply of live rock? Obviously, it's in short supply. I'm assuming from what I've read, that supply has been cut off from Fiji. Is that because it's been overpicked, for lack of a better word? Will supplies open back up again? What is the responsible thing to do as reef keepers? In our house, we try and buy tank bred fish and corals to not encourage illegal capture. I don't want to unintentionally do that with rock. Haven't been able to order much live or base rock from our usual sources for my new 90 gallon. Just wondering . . .

LIVE ROCK NEWS:
The export of live rock originating from Tonga has ceased, and unfortunately we will no longer be offering Tonga Branch Rock, Tonga Slab Rock, and Drs. Foster and Smith Select Lalo Live Rock in the immediate future. We are currently working diligently with suppliers to source quality alternatives from other regions for these styles of rock. This moratorium on Tonga Live Rock affects the following LiveAquaria.com items:
  • Lalo Live Rock - OUT OF STOCK
  • Tonga Branch Rock - OUT OF STOCK
  • Tonga Slab Rock - OUT OF STOCK
Thankfully, this does not affect availability of our wide assortment of live rock from Vanuatu, Fiji, along with South Pacific Deepwater (larger sized pieces), as well as Fully Cured Fiji Cultured Rock. We're also pleased to offer a cultured alternative to harvested Live Rock made from pieces of aragonite, shells, and rubble fused together with concrete, then maricultured for several years under natural ocean conditions.

Found this from LiveAquaria

I believe I`ve read somewhere that countries are cutting back on exporting LR.

And honestly I can't blame them. At this point, given the vast numbers of aquarists constantly leaving or taking a break from the hobby and our ability to aquaculture artificial LR just fine, there really is little need to rape the reefs anymore.

And honestly I can't blame them. At this point, given the vast numbers of aquarists constantly leaving or taking a break from the hobby and our ability to aquaculture artificial LR just fine, there really is little need to rape the reefs anymore.

I tend to agree with you!

I did read somewhere that a large portion of the rock that is collected is done so after a storm comes through and damages the reefs. Maybe that is what I would like to believe...

There are other options out there and maybe we as hobbyist need to encourage those options.

Back
Top Bottom