Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's the longest time anyone has ever kept a blue tang?

So, I'm on my second blue tang,now....it's a Regal blue. And I'm not sure he's gonna last. The first one I had didn't last but two weeks, and it was my fault (nitrites). So I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept these fish for any lengh of time? Are they really that hard to keep?

Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first one lasted 2 weeks in qt. The second one lasted 3 and a half weeks in qt. I had just about given up. Then 3 weeks ago we decided we would give it one more try. After much research and soul searching(LOL) we got one and did not qt it. Many researchers say that qt is harder on them than anything else, so we put her straight into the main tank. Of course she immediately broke out in ich and I went into panic mode. However, the main tank has good water and a very big cleaner shrimp so the lfs guy said to wait it out(we couldn't catch her for qt). By the end of day 2 the cleaner had her completly cleaned off. After about 4 days she got a few more spots which were cleaned off again. She's been in for 3 weeks now and hopefully the worst is over. Maybe I lucked out this time. Good luck with yours.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have had one for about a little over a year and he eats eveything you feed him
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_tangs.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1665   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_tangs.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1666  

Old 03-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only kept mine for 14 months and Sold it, never had any issues with Ich.
I did not qt this fish, I fed my other fish garlic soaked foods for 5 days before getting the fish. I watched it at the LFS for more than a week, and after it was in my tank I fed garlic soaked foods to it for the first week. I never had any health problems with this fish, it grew fast and it was in my 300g which could make a difference.

Kaye
Old 03-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got mine when it was about an inch 1/2 and paper thin about nine months ago, now hes about 3 to 4 in long, like cobras tang mine eats everything i throw in the tank. had couple breakouts of ich but usually goes away in a week or two, never had to QT, maybe I got lucky, but Id like to think that because he eats so dam much that somehow its immune system can handle whatever disease it catches HTH
Old 03-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

THe lfs I buy from will hold the fish for me for 2 weeks. before I pay and take it home this is great. With paying so much for these fish and no warranty on them. Maybe your lfs would hold them for you. I do not have a qt set up. Hope I never need one but would use a plastic tote for one when I need it. I have spare power heads and heaters I could use but for now I will let my lfs hold them for me. I would never take home a fish the day they get them in like so many people I see buying them right out of the shipping bags.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had my regal for close to a year now. This can be a hard fish to acclimate and it ivery prone to ick. It should be added to a home QT for six weeks before going into the main. Once acclimated and eating it proves to be a pretty haedy fish.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the encouraging words....it's always good to hear other people's experiences! The problem with mine is that I'm battling persistent ich, but I think the biggest problem is that he refuses to eat anything I give him. I soak everything in garlic, but if he doesn't eat his immune system is definately compromised. The only food he gets is by grazing on the bottom of the tank. I always thought that was strange, never heard of a tang bottom grazing. He stays really skinny, too. On the one hand, it's not looking good. On the other hand, I've had him for six weeks now and he's survived this long, so I don't know.....
Old 03-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you tried garlic & vitamin soaked mysis yet? If not try that and if your Nori clip sinks clip a piece of nori and let it sink to the bottom.

Kaye
Old 03-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
A friend of mine's blue has been in his tank for 7 years now and is still going strong.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, long, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com